Changing filter materials

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titchrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Its getting to the time of the first filter media change.
What do I do?
If the filter contains the bacteria then would changing the pads then mean you start cycling again?
There's two pads to change, carbon and the White pad.

You should not change anything in the filter. Just remove them and clean them off using tank water during your next pwc. Tossing them would cause another cycle to begin. Also I'd research the carbon. I've heard that you only use that when trying to remove things from the water column. Nit necessary all the time but I'm no expert.

It says in the filter manual to replace the carbon (black pad) every 4 weeks and the White pad every 3 weeks.
They do get cleaned with tank water every week during pwc.
Is this just another we want your money things?

Yea pretty much. I changed my pads every month. Then realized how crazy that was. I have a marine land 350 and havent changed the pads in several months. I did remove the carbon from them and added come ceramic balls to give the bacteria more to grow on.

The carbon one looks fine. Its the White pad that looks brown now. And it's a month old.
Should I really just leave it as is? Does it not stop the filter being efficient?
The filter is interpet pf2.
Thanks guys!

Yes, just leave the media in there. You can swish it around in some tank water after a PWC to keep it filtering effectively. Really if you want to save some $ you don't even have to used carbon in your filter. It doesn't do that much and most people just leave it out of their filter (me included). However carbon is useful if you need to remove medicines from your tank.

adadkins1 said:
Yes, just leave the media in there. You can swish it around in some tank water after a PWC to keep it filtering effectively. Really if you want to save some $ you don't even have to used carbon in your filter. It doesn't do that much and most people just leave it out of their filter (me included). However carbon is useful if you need to remove medicines from your tank.

Thanks.
It came with the carbon filter.
Il just give it a good rinse in the tank water. Saves a small fortune every few months as these filter pads ain't cheap! :)

When you start reaching the point where the old filter is literally beginning to fall apart, find a way to jam a new filter pad in right in front of it. The best way is to have the old filter pad being the first thing the water contacts, with the new filter placed right up against it.

Try to leave them both in there as long as possible so the old filter can seed the new with beneficial bacteria. After some time (I'd shoot for 2 weeks min.), you can replace the old filter pad.

The best option is to take a pair of scissors and cut a part out of the old filter every few days until it's gone. This way you don't remove the entire thing at once, and it lets your bacteria adjust to the change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom