Changing Filter Media During Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khartig

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been cycling my 29 gal for about two weeks and during todays water change I noticed that the filter media on my Penquin bio-wheel is a bit dirty. Should I change it or would I be better off to just rinse it in the bucket during tomorrow's water change?

Exactly what filter media are you referring to- the biowheels, the cartridges. something else? At only 2 wks into cycling, I would not touch anything in your filter unless water is not flowing through because of large pieces of debris. If thats the case, then swish it in some used tank water. You do not want to change any filter media unless its literally falling apart- just swish it in some used tank water.

Thanks jlk. I was refering to the cartridge. The water is still flowing nicely so I'll just leave it for. I wasn't sure so I thought I'd ask.

Heck no! Don't change out that cartridge unless it's falling apart in your hands. At every water change (after you're cycled and have fish), rinse it off in used tank water. I only change out my cartridges a few times a year, certainly not monthly as the manufacturer suggests (they're only in it to make money).

In case you've seen the youtube video, heres my take... Leave the filter media alone! I don't replace mine until it literally falls apart and when that starts happening I just wedge a new one in front of it and replace the one that's falling apart about 3 weeks or so later. Think if it this way you've spent a good amount of time building up your beneficial bacteria so why waste it and on a side note theres probably someone that would want your used media for seeding their tank.

For the last part of my rant you for sure don't want to make any changes during the cycling process especially to the media. I'm also assuming you are fish in cycling other wise there is no reason to do continuous water changes. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. I didn't think I should but thought I'd ask to be sure. RedFlame, I am doing a fish in cycling.

Yep, swish it in tank water (after you're cycled) to clean it off. Be careful you don't clean too vigorously, either. I did that once to my betta's media trying to get the brown gunk that develops off--yeah, my BB was not happy with me for a couple of days and got back at me by making me do regular water changes. :D

Back
Top Bottom