Changing Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LordMatthew34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been browsing these forums for a few months now and it's inspired me to start taking better care of my fish tank. I have a 30 gallon with 2 fancy gold fish, 1 female guppy, 1 kory, and 1 pleco. I think it's time to change my filters (had the tank for about 3 years now and haven't done that yet). I don't know what kind of filtration system that I have (as I bought the setup used), but it's got two spinning wheels on it, and the filters inside are hard plastic and full of stuff. I'm assuming they are carbon. I've been reading on here that carbon isn't always the best option, so I matched the size to some penguin blue filter pads.

Should I replace one filter at a time to allow the beneficial bacterias to build up, or should I do both at the same time and add some beneficial bacteria to the setup every day? I'm kind of new to this whole thing, but starting to get the hang of it. I have a fish store about 2 miles away from my house, and they've been doing free water samples for me. My Nitrates were pretty high, but they've come down since doing a 1/2 water change and gravel vac yesterday. I'm thinking it's about time to change out those filters. Looking for any helpful advice! There are fish in there and all of them have been in there for over 2 years with exception of the pleco that has only been in there for a few days. He's alive and well though, and doing a very fine job of cleaning glass. I rescued him from a friends tank that will be coming my way, but i wont be setting up for a little bit.

Thanks,

Matt

I would only replace one at a time. People claim that those biowheels house a lot of bacteria, so that, along with your other cartridge, should be fine. Give it about 2 weeks, then switch the other one. Going forward, just rinse the filter cartridges in a bucket using water taken from your tank doing a pwc.

mfdrookie516 said:
I would only replace one at a time. People claim that those biowheels house a lot of bacteria, so that, along with your other cartridge, should be fine. Give it about 2 weeks, then switch the other one. Going forward, just rinse the filter cartridges in a bucket using water taken from your tank doing a pwc.

+1 on mfd's reply. I'm not trying to sell a product or anything just giving my advice. Any way, I got an aqua clear 50 on my 29 gallon along with the cheap top fin filter that came with the tank. I love the aqua clear, it's amazingly quiet and makes my water crystal clear. I plan on buying an aqua clear 30 in the near future to replace the top fin. As mfd said replace one filter at a time allowing enough time for the bacteria to branch to your newly installed filter. I had no issues doing this with my new filter and will use the same method when I get my other filter.

Thanks. Should I do another PWC while changing the filter? I just noticed that the replacement filter cartridge lengths are shorter then the plastic filters that are currently in there. Is this bad? Will my new filter cartridges still work? I don't want to open the package if they are the wrong ones. It seems like they will fit the width, but the length is a good 3 or 4" too short... I still can't tell what type of filter I have. The bottom of the motor has illegible letters on it.

LordMatthew34 said:
Thanks. Should I do another PWC while changing the filter? I just noticed that the replacement filter cartridge lengths are shorter then the plastic filters that are currently in there. Is this bad? Will my new filter cartridges still work? I don't want to open the package if they are the wrong ones. It seems like they will fit the width, but the length is a good 3 or 4" too short... I still can't tell what type of filter I have. The bottom of the motor has illegible letters on it.

Take a pic of your filter I'm sure there is someone here that will know what type it is.

Doing a PWC can never hurt with goldfish. It sounds like some type of hang on back filter. If the cartridge is not tall enough you will get a lot of bypass.

I would try to figure out what type of filter you have. You can post a picture and we can see if we can id it.

What a good idea :) should have done this a long time ago!

Alright bare with the pics. I took a few of them. The first one will be the side profile of the filter. The second is the front profile as it sits in the water. The third and fourth pics are the front and back of the front filter pad, and the fifth and sixth are the front and inside of the back filter pad. There are two sides to this filter, and both sides have two filters on the inside of them along with a spinning filter thing on the front.

Attachments

• Side Profile.jpg
    Side Profile.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Front Profile.jpg
    Front Profile.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 79
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 77
And the other 2 pics mentioned above...

Attachments

• Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 74
What I usually do when changing filters is run the second filter for around a week, then remove the old filter and let some of the media float for a few days after (in your case the biowheel).

With goldfish, there isn't really anything wrong with "overfiltration", unless there it too much flow. The emperor's are good filters.

Nice! Thanks guys. Is this a decent filter for a 30gallon? I was kind of planning on doing something different with the tank once the two gold fish in there die.

Goldfish can like for like 10 years... if kept correctly. I think what you meant was until you build a pond in your back yard to put them in once they get big enough *wink wink*

LordMatthew34 said:
Nice! Thanks guys. Is this a decent filter for a 30gallon? I was kind of planning on doing something different with the tank once the two gold fish in there die.

I have never used a biowheel filter before and have heard some mixed reviews about them. I'm sure the filtration is more than plenty for a 30gal. Your goldies have a pretty high bio output so a powerful filter will help you out there and of course keeping up with your pwcs.

:) maybe i'll get a 10 gallon and set it up for the two gold fish...was kind of thinking they would die sooner then they have. So i'm going to be getting a 60gallon tall soon, i'm thinking the media filters in my filtration system will be good for seeding that thing once i get it up and running...should definitely help speed things up with the fishless cycle! Going to be a while before I set the 60 up, but im definitely learning how to properly care for the tank.

Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to reply!

LordMatthew34 said:
:) maybe i'll get a 10 gallon and set it up for the two gold fish...was kind of thinking they would die sooner then they have. So i'm going to be getting a 60gallon tall soon, i'm thinking the media filters in my filtration system will be good for seeding that thing once i get it up and running...should definitely help speed things up with the fishless cycle! Going to be a while before I set the 60 up, but im definitely learning how to properly care for the tank.

Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to reply!

No problem! I'll be getting either a 55gal or 75gal soon, hopefully I'll be able to finish my 29gal soon! Can't wait to see your progress pics and keep us updated on keeping your tank clean. I know this site helped me get into gear about my tank.

Back
Top Bottom