changing food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i picked up some frozen blood worms the other day thinking maybe the fish would like to try them for a change. until today i have been feeding flakes, freeze-dried brine shrimp and mysis flakes on a steady schedule. i found it curious that no one really liked the blood worms.
i just tossed the frozen chunk in there, did i feed it to them wrong? is it normal for them to be resistant to a change in diet? the tetras got into it a little, but the angels didn't touch it at all. it was the apple snail, though, who ended up finishing it off (i think).

ive noticed at times it takes a few sessions for my fish to take to new food. You may want to give it a little more time, i havent heard of fish not liking bloodworms :)

I put some tank water in a glass and let the cube melt then add it to the tank. It may take a few tries but they will end up loving it I'm sure.

Fish often need to "learn" that it's food your placing into the tank. Give them several tries to figure it out.

Like Zagz said, thaw the frozen cubes in some water first. That'll make a big difference. :)

Voodoo Chilli said:
Fish often need to "learn" that it's food your placing into the tank. Give them several tries to figure it out.

My fish are the exact opposite, anything I put in the tank gets snatched and only after they have it in their mouth do they decide if they want to spit it back out or not. They are greedy little pigs.

Yep, you need to "defrost" the cubes before placing in the tank. Once defrosted, they are introduced in their "natural" looking form and the fish will not be able to resist them.

if at first you don't succeed, try, try again....

best advice ever! by the third time feeding the blood worms there was practically a fight in the tank over who got them :) EVERYONE likes these things! except the bn who made it her personal responsibility to get in everyone's way during feeding, lol.

Back
Top Bottom