Changing gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I really want to change the gravel I have in my tropical tank as I really don't like the stuff I have in there at the moment. It is fairly chunky and its not the best colour which is white and shows up and has on it loads of alge that I am fighting a loosing battle to clear up. In my goldfish tank I have thin small gravel and I Never get dirt or debris underneath it. what is the best way to change the gravel in the tropical tank without emptying the fish out? As soon as I move the chunky gravel the alge comes off but then re-settles but there is loads of it more or less making the gravel brown. I have a 100 L with 7 fish

Can you hoover the chunks? If you suck them up & loosen the debris, then suck up the debris?

If you replace the chunks all at once with new gravel, you risk running a mini cycle as the bb in your filter won't be enough to deal with all the ammonia

I do use the Hoover and Hoover the bottom but there is too much of it. I can't get the whole lot up and I can't get it actually off the gravel.

Well, if you're really set on changing from the chunks to new gravel, it's best to run with both in tandem for 4-6 weeks to all bb to colonise your new gravel. Then you can start removing portions of the old chunks each week

I know, it's a bit of a pain, but it's the only way to avoid a mini cycle

Alternatively, if you have sufficient gravel in your existing goldfish tank, you could take some of it. But if you take too much from the goldfish tank, you could cause it to do a mini-cycle :(

Well, if you're really set on changing from the chunks to new gravel, it's best to run with both in tandem for 4-6 weeks to all bb to colonise your new gravel. Then you can start removing portions of the old chunks each week

Um no. If you wanna replace it then get your new gravel and wash it. Then scoop the old gravel out and add new gravel. Remove the fish and shut off all filters while doing this and let it sit a few hours to let everything settle and then add fish back

I'm in agreement with fishrfriends. Swap the gravel all at once. Most of your bacteria live in your filter. Some live in the gravel but they also live on every surface in the tank and the loss won't be so huge. What does happen sometimes, though, is that you'll stir up enough pockets of ammonia to cause a mini cycle. This is more of a concern with small gravel and sand that have sat undisturbed for a long time. I've moved tanks enough times and used the move as an occasion to really clean the gravel to be able to say with confidence that clean, fresh gravel alone won't cause a mini cycle. Unless you have an under gravel filter, of course.

I suggest you drain the tank at least halfway and put that water and your fish into a container. An ice chest lined with a plain old trash bag works great (close the bag with a pouf at the top to make it dark and leap-proof). You can use a big bucket if you don't have an ice chest but the insulation will help hold temp while you work so you need not feel rushed.

Can you hoover the chunks? If you suck them up & loosen the debris, then suck up the debris?

If you replace the chunks all at once with new gravel, you risk running a mini cycle as the bb in your filter won't be enough to deal with all the ammonia

I've never had a mini cycle from changing my substrate there is sufficient amount of bb in your filter to avoid the mini cycle. You could also put some of the old gravel in a nylon bag like pantyhose and let it sit in the tank to seed the new gravel if it is that big of a concern.. But ive never had to do this.

Op. it is best to remove the fish so you don't stress them to much. I have found that removing sand is extremely easy because you can just suck it up. When I go bare bottom from sand I just do a waterchange and suck all the sand out with water. Is this possible with your gravel. If you look through my threads I have one called changing subtrate. Jlk, an experienced and knowlagable person gave me the best way to do it. It was amazing, but took some time but I had no debris under my new substrate and that's what my biggest concern was.

I've never had a mini cycle from changing my substrate there is sufficient amount of bb in your filter to avoid the mini cycle. You could also put some of the old gravel in a nylon bag like pantyhose and let it sit in the tank to seed the new gravel if it is that big of a concern.. But ive never had to do this.

Op. it is best to remove the fish so you don't stress them to much. I have found that removing sand is extremely easy because you can just suck it up. When I go bare bottom from sand I just do a waterchange and suck all the sand out with water. Is this possible with your gravel. If you look through my threads I have one called changing subtrate. Jlk, an experienced and knowlagable person gave me the best way to do it. It was amazing, but took some time but I had no debris under my new substrate and that's what my biggest concern was.

I thought I gave pretty good advice here. It's simple really just don't make it last 4-6 weeks

Um no. If you wanna replace it then get your new gravel and wash it. Then scoop the old gravel out and add new gravel. Remove the fish and shut off all filters while doing this and let it sit a few hours to let everything settle and then add fish back

Thanks for all your advice! I am going to attempt during my week off work. I will empty everything inc gravel and have a good clean before putting the new in. I will put the fish in a cooler box but should I put a heater in it also just to be sure? Don't want them to die cos of a drop in temperature in the ice box.

Thanks for all your advice! I am going to attempt during my week off work. I will empty everything inc gravel and have a good clean before putting the new in. I will put the fish in a cooler box but should I put a heater in it also just to be sure? Don't want them to die cos of a drop in temperature in the ice box.

You can put a heater but I don't recommend it since its a smaller space it will heat up faster

Sorry for giving you bad advice then (feeling bad)

I only said to do that as I put my old gravel into my new tank when I upgraded to a bigger tank and it worked.

But I'm a newbie so run with the more experienced guys

Adding old gravel isn't bad advice! It's good advice because your trying to avoid the minicycle! It's just not needed as the majority of your bb is in the filter media not decor and substrate. Unless you have a ugf that is.

Make it easier with no mini cycle, do half this week and the 2nd next week. Worked perfectly for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make it easier with no mini cycle, do half this week and the 2nd next week. Worked perfectly for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's just making it take longer then it needs to though. If you are worried about a minicycle all you need to do is put some of the old gravel in some pantyhose and lets it seed your new gravel. But like mentioned before there is sufficient amount of bb in your media to avoid the minicycle. I've changed my substrate multiple times on different tanks now and never once experienced a minicycle.

Back
Top Bottom