Changing out water in your tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also from what I read about other people's experience. water changing is like the key to help out most of the problems affiliated in aquariums. fish appreciate new water too and theres no such thing as 'too much water change'. to loosen the weight carrying buckets of water around, a python, or water hose, will do you good.

Douglas4701 said:
Yeah I saw the hobs and that brand. Is the cleaning process on those when you change the filter quite fun?

Very easy actually, I just syphon out tank water into a 5g bucket and and clean all my media in it. I don't use the carbon in mine tho. I just have the sponge, bio rings & a media bag full of cc. It really is fast and easy. I do it at every water change.

Athaocity said:
also from what I read about other people's experience. water changing is like the key to help out most of the problems affiliated in aquariums. fish appreciate new water too and theres no such thing as 'too much water change'. to loosen the weight carrying buckets of water around, a python, or water hose, will do you good.

My fish love when I do wc's, usually induces spawning :) I rigged a garden hose to use as my water changer. I cut a piece off to use to syphon water right out the window then I duct tape the other end to my faucet an fill directly into my tank. Same idea as a python but didn't cost me anything.... Oh except for duct tape once a month lol.

Last edited:
A 50g community is fun I have a 55. To give you an idea out equipment would be about the same. I have an aquaclear 70 hob and Korella 750 power head. Stock lists are fun in my community I have 7 pristella tetras, 4 serpae tetras, 1 albino bristlenose pleco, 1 farlowella catfish, 5 spotted corys, 3 emerald corys, 3 emerald Cory fry, 5 harlequin rasboras, and 5 Pygmy corys.... Also an assortment of snails

I like corys the important thing is to have fun and ask questions

Do you find your snails over multiply? I was told to consider not getting snails. I asked " what if I just toss the ones that are new in a pond or etc?" They didn't seem to think I should get snails. What gives? Lol

Douglas4701 said:
Do you find your snails over multiply? I was told to consider not getting snails. I asked " what if I just toss the ones that are new in a pond or etc?" They didn't seem to think I should get snails. What gives? Lol

Pond snails are a bit more pesky and will overpopulate. My apple snails bred once and I have sold off all but a few babies that I am trading for aquarium items. They won't overpopulate if you remove the egg clutches that they lay above the water line, in hoods and stuff. But they are worth something if there is a market for them in your area :)

They wouldn't be able to get up in the hood I bought I dont think. It's a glass top. Ill have to find what a clutch looks like.

Douglas4701 said:
They wouldn't be able to get up in the hood I bought I dont think. It's a glass top. Ill have to find what a clutch looks like.

I used to have a pic of mine on my phone but can't find it, you can't miss them. They are big an ugly lol. From google.

Attachments

• image-4263126693.jpg
    image-4263126693.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 68
Yes my snails multiply a ton but they are there for food for my assassin snails. And the 750 helps prevent any dead water in my system. The flow from my AC 70 just wasn't enough for my taste

My snails are outta control also. But then again, once they get big enough they go straight into the oscars tank lol

I am glad to announce I am up and running... I guess my crawl turned into a walk.

I started with a small amount of fish to get started.

image-2532624358.jpg

Douglas4701 said:
I am glad to announce I am up and running... I guess my crawl turned into a walk.

I started with a small amount of fish to get started.

Awesome! What's the stock? You get a Master test kit too? :)

I have two silver tip sharks, one oscar, two yellow cichlids (one striped). I won't be getting any snails for awhile so they don't die of starvation. I will be going to the largest fish store in Texas tomorrow to find some new family members. I know the Greek theme is kind of generic but I really likeit... Even though every petsmart has one

No master kit yet though I'm getting one tomorrow. I had the water tested this evening at two places.

Mines a 46g bow front which is what yours prob is also. I love mine. Its got the oak cabinet and oak trim. What's your measurements (lenth, height, and width at the end and center? Do you know what "yellow cichlids" you got? O and if your doing a fish in cycle, be prepared to be doing prob 50% pwc, if not more, quite often!

Douglas4701 said:
No master kit yet though I'm getting one tomorrow. I had the water tested this evening at two places.

Test kit, ASAP :) what was the stock before this? Nothing? If you didnt have anything your water isn't going to test for anything, now you have an ammonia source and you need to monitor it :)

Last edited:
aaronjohn20 said:
Mines a 46g bow front which is what yours prob is also. I love mine. Its got the oak cabinet and oak trim. What's your measurements (lenth, height, and width at the end and center? Do you know what "yellow cichlids" you got? O and if your doing a fish in cycle, be prepared to be doing prob 50% pwc, if not more, quite often!

Agreed! Indeed, Your gonna be doing some serious wc's! I'm concerned you may have mixed your Cichlids. If so they really can't coincide. You should probably choose what kind you would rather have and stick to that region.

What do you mean by fish in cycle?

Pwc is water change correct? Im okay with that if necessary.

Tank if 46 bow front marineland. 36" long 18?"wide at the widest I think. Not sure on tall

Back
Top Bottom