Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that taking the fish out makes the whole process easier. If you want to add some you could do it a cup at a time so you don't cover up any fish. If you are planning on a substrate change you really should remove the fish.

I just took handfuls and placed them in the tank during a water change. Smaller grains will inevitably find themselves to the bottom.

I was thinking that taking the fish out might be the only way :( My angelfish just get so stressed when I net them, and my kuhlis are near impossible to net at all!!
Thanks

Do you know anyone with a border? You could put up a border in tank and keep fish on opposite side from where you are changing out gravel. That should reduce stress. A thorough vacuum while removing would help too.

I've never used this method but it seems pretty effective. Description says you can up the scale to a large bottle to make it more time effective.

‪How to clean new aquariumsand the easy way.‬‏ - YouTube

As you can see in the video all the fine dust particles that cloud your water are trapped in the bottle. But if you are completely changing substrate beware of a mini cycle. Hope this helps.

vitacrux said:
I've never used this method but it seems pretty effective. Description says you can up the scale to a large bottle to make it more time effective.

‪How to clean new aquariumsand the easy way.‬‏ - YouTube

As you can see in the video all the fine dust particles that cloud your water are trapped in the bottle. But if you are completely changing substrate beware of a mini cycle. Hope this helps.

Ahhh. I was just about to suggest this

Are you changing from gravel to sand??

I haven't decided. I like the look of sand, but I haven't done any research on it as a substrate. I was thinking sand with a layer of fine gravel on top. I would like to leave a path of sand visible, but I don't know how you go about vacuuming sand when you clean the tank.

I guess that's my next question...How do you vacuum a sand substrate?? And is it a good choice for a planted tank?

I have sand in a lot of tanks. It's ok, not really my #1 preference for planted tanks, but it works. You vacuum it just like gravel but you have to hover over it instead of digging into it

I have sand in a lot of tanks. It's ok, not really my #1 preference for planted tanks, but it works. You vacuum it just like gravel but you have to hover over it instead of digging into it

What is your preference for planted tanks?

i tried the bottle method but i was an idiot and didnt clean it alittle first, do tht and it works like a charm

I just started planting in my 10. I have black sand, and the contrast from green, to reddish, to black is nice. Sand is difficult to get plants to stay, but that's ok by me. Some substrates have things in them to promote plant health, but it will eventually wear off. Its all about what you think looks best imo. As for cleaning sand, I just stir it up a bit, poop and that such will stay kicked up longer, what ever isn't sucked into your filter will sit on the top of the sand..just get that stuff by hovering an inch or so. I don't use a vac (too much suction) I use a vac tubing only (pinpoints the suctions for easier clean up. When you get near plants, just pinch the tubing to slow water flow :) my fav substrate for anything

What is your preference for planted tanks?

Mineralized topsoil is my hands down favorite.

For the less diy-inclined, ecocomplete/floramax work great as well.

In some tanks I use straight oil-dri, rinsed thoroughly. It doesn't have nutrients in it but that's easy enough to deal with, the important thing is the substrate is plant friendly, as in, has the ability to efficiently hold/deliver nutrients to the roots.

It's also like 3.50 or so for 20lbs at walmart in the automotive section :]

If there isn't a budget involved, ada aquasoil seems to be the winner.

mineralized topsoil?? is that miracle gro?
just looked up the oil dri. says it's all natural which is cool. are you able to post a pic of a tank with that in it? curious how that looks.

mineralized topsoil?? is that miracle gro?
just looked up the oil dri. says it's all natural which is cool. are you able to post a pic of a tank with that in it? curious how that looks.

FAQs
a short writeup on mineralized topsoil. You can also google it to get more exact recipes.

This is one of the most commonly used recipes.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Mineralized Soil Substrate

This is my 125 with oil dri.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/planted-the-125-a-152015.html

The color can vary with each batch but its all basically that color. It's just a cheap way to do something more plant friendly.

Idk. Eco Complete is looking pretty good, but I really wanted a light/natural color and it only comes in black and red. Would it be reasonable to use a bottom layer of Eco and cover with natural gravel? Or does that somehow defeat the purpose of using Eco?

My only beef with eco and that sort is eventually the nutriends are used up, and then your stuck with it. Id say just use what you want and add ferts to the water

you could, but if you are covering it anyway, you might want to just use the cheaper oil dri/soilmaster select/turface alternative. Just put down some root tabs and you'll be set.

The main reason I like ecocomplete is because of the color and the fact that you don't have to rinse it.

it has all the nutrients in it, right? is it the same to use the oil dri and root tabs? i did prefer the color and texture of the oil dri

Back
Top Bottom