Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for this thread and the substrate discussion. I am defiantly going to use the mineralized topsoil and oil dry. I assume you use the oil dry along the front, sides and to cover like they did with the black sand in the article. Am I correct? Thanks again

it has all the nutrients in it, right? is it the same to use the oil dri and root tabs? i did prefer the color and texture of the oil dri

Yea, Ecocomplete has some nutrients in it already, however they get depleted in fairly short order, so you'd be in the same boat with using straight up oil dri and just adding root tabs or dry dosing/column dosing as needed.

Thanks for this thread and the substrate discussion. I am defiantly going to use the mineralized topsoil and oil dry. I assume you use the oil dry along the front, sides and to cover like they did with the black sand in the article. Am I correct? Thanks again

yeah, make an aesthetic border to hide the soil. It's really nice, it does take some patience and elbow grease but at the end of the day the materials cost to put a great enriched substrate into my 125 was less than $15 total.

yeah, make an aesthetic border to hide the soil. It's really nice, it does take some patience and elbow grease but at the end of the day the materials cost to put a great enriched substrate into my 125 was less than $15 total.

So the Oil Dri is only for aesthetics?

So would I be correct to say that it would extract or absorb nutrients from the mulm that settles in the gravel, or would I suppliment with root tabs or liquid ferts?
Also, do I have to use the topsoil or can the Oil Dri be used alone?
One more thing...have you ever "charged" it by soaking it in a mix of ferts before putting it in the tank?

Yes the mulm serves as a source for nutrients also, but in order to be certain that the plants are getting everything they need its important to add fertilizers.

You can use the oil dri by itself, the purpose of the topsoil is that it has a huge supply of nutrients in it, so it negates the need for root tabs. It's also great for low tech setups because it's a kind of set-it and forget it approach.

No I have not charged any substrate, adding ferts to the tank, liquid or dry, will allow it to make its way to the substrate. I could see the point in doing it but you have to be careful not to overdo it, especially with the macros like no3. It'd be easier (to apply and to monitor) just by adding root tabs.

Look at it like this, a clay based substrate is like a nutrient sponge, soaking up nutrients to make them available for the roots. A basic sand or gravel substrate doesn't soak up anything, although in time the biofilm/mulm does a decent job.

So using a proper plant-friendly substrate isn't essential to keeping plants, but IMO it definitely helps.

Got it. The topsoils sounds like a messy endeavor, but sounds like it's worth it.
Thanks for all the help everybody!!!

ok. i will. i was trying to check out the Barr report, too, but the site is down for a couple of hours. i definitely want to learn as much of the pros and cons as i can, so more research is definitely in order.
i did a lot of reading last night and i think i overloaded. after looking at so many sites i can't remember where i read what. so thanks for helping me get it all straight and down in one place.

Back
Top Bottom