Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so we are moving and I see this as the perfect opportunity to change over from gravel to pool filter sand. My question is will I lose a lot of beneficial bacteria that is in my current gravel? What would be the best way to go about the switch? Thanks in advance!

I don't think you'll lose to much, just keep ur filter media in water during the move.

boadams87 said:
I don't think you'll lose to much, just keep ur filter media in water during the move.

Yeah I will. I also have an ATI sponge filter. That thing is loaded with bb. Thanks!

Cool. Good luck with the move! How far u moving? How long will the filters be without heat and oxygen?

The best way to go about it is to save your Water. Many Aquarist tend to minimize the importance of BB within the aquarium. But it is often hit and miss, And just as vital as that within the tank. The bacteria in your water column and gravel are just as important as that within your filter. proceed with caution.

I just don't see how the water can have enough BB to help, with all the water changes that r done and nothing to attach to and grow.

There is a lot of bb in the gravel. Gravel has a large surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. Take a good handful of the gravel and put it in a cloth like a cut-up t-shirt and tie it up and place it in the new aquarium for about two weeks to help the beneficial bacteria to colonize the sand and to help with new cycling process.

boadams87 said:
Cool. Good luck with the move! How far u moving? How long will the filters be without heat and oxygen?

We are only moving about 10 miles.

What if I take some of the gravel and put it on a large plate or something in the tank for a while? Think that would help?

Penncentralfan said:
There is a lot of bb in the gravel. Gravel has a large surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. Take a good handful of the gravel and put it in a cloth like a cut-up t-shirt and tie it up and place it in the new aquarium for about two weeks to help the beneficial bacteria to colonize the sand and to help with new cycling process.

Sorry didn't see your post when I posted that question

I wouldn't worry too much as long as your not over stocked etc. the filter is the important part, if you have a strong bio filter then the sand will be quickly colonised.

Ok thanks guys! Not moving until the 1st so I have time to plan everything out

I just don't see how the water can have enough BB to help, with all the water changes that r done and nothing to attach to and grow.

thats because a Aquarist we are conditioned to only consider Nitrifying bacteria. When there are many more types of BB. Whenever Someone goes overboard with a water change or Gravel Vac the consequences are dire.

I switched from gravel to sand in my 50. I ended up leaving enough gravel to cover the bottom of the tank and then put the tank on top of it and let the filters run. The output ended up uncovering some of the gravel where it was thicker and it looks really nice. Just a though..could leave some in

Mr.Pleco said:
I switched from gravel to sand in my 50. I ended up leaving enough gravel to cover the bottom of the tank and then put the tank on top of it and let the filters run. The output ended up uncovering some of the gravel where it was thicker and it looks really nice. Just a though..could leave some in

I was kinda thinking about doing that. Glad to hear someone else has done it. Could you post pics?

Look at my 50g album...you can see it kinda. I can take a better picture of the gravel and sand if you want.

I think you'd like it. I have gravel along the back covering the bubble wand and then around the plants too. And the spots where it got uncovered

Mr.Pleco said:
Look at my 50g album...you can see it kinda. I can take a better picture of the gravel and sand if you want.

I think you'd like it. I have gravel along the back covering the bubble wand and then around the plants too. And the spots where it got uncovered

That's alright I can see it good enough. I like it. I think that's what I will probably do. I've seen a lot of people talking about gas pockets building in the sand would the gravel at the bottom make that worse or not? How long has yours been like that?

Back
Top Bottom