Changing substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr.Pleco said:
Look at my 50g album...you can see it kinda. I can take a better picture of the gravel and sand if you want.

I think you'd like it. I have gravel along the back covering the bubble wand and then around the plants too. And the spots where it got uncovered

Also did you use pool filter sand or something different?

That's alright I can see it good enough. I like it. I think that's what I will probably do. I've seen a lot of people talking about gas pockets building in the sand would the gravel at the bottom make that worse or not? How long has yours been like that?

I'm not sure if it would help or not. I figured it would help break up pockets in the sand plus you aren't using as much sand because the gravel is taking up space too. And it helps with bacteria too.

Uhh I'd say since November or so? maybe October.

Also did you use pool filter sand or something different?

I really really like Red Flint pfs but it was like x10 more to ship it than it actually cost. I looked at pfs from the store and didn't like the color so I just settled for play sand..
wasn't sure at first but it looks nice. I ended up putting it in my 10g too. Just have to mix up spots every once in a while that look like they are getting some color

How much sand did you use in your 50? I have a 46 bow front and I was looking at sand online and there is some on eBay but it goes by cubic inches. I am terrible at math!

How much sand did you use in your 50? I have a 46 bow front and I was looking at sand online and there is some on eBay but it goes by cubic inches. I am terrible at math!

Oh I am too...I bought 2 50lb bags of play sand. I used about 3/4 of one bag I'd say. I used the rest for my 10g.

Between gravel and sand it's 2in deep.

As for converting...I have no idea :confused:
Find a online converter

Mr.Pleco said:
Oh I am too...I bought 2 50lb bags of play sand. I used about 3/4 of one bag I'd say. I used the rest for my 10g.

Between gravel and sand it's 2in deep.

As for converting...I have no idea :confused:
Find a online converter

Lol! Yeah math sucks. Thanks for the info. You've been a big help

Back
Top Bottom