changing to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hollaatchun

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi,
i been doing freshwater tank for about 7 years now and now i am thinking about going to saltwater. i currently have a 75gallon tank with a 20 gallon long tank underneath going to be use as a wet / dry filter (DIY). its going to a FO only tank with some rocks. my question is how many fish can i keep in it? i know it depends on the fish size. all the fishes i am interested in are going to be about 10 inches at max (starting from 2-3 inches).

some of the fishes i am interested in

lionfish
huma tigger
tang
some sort of puffer
or maybe an snowflake eel ( or any other type of small eel.)

i am not tying to fit all those fish in my tank. maybe 3 if i can and of course it depends on their compatability. i understand the general fish rule for freshwater and wondering if it is different for saltwater fish.

according to the sticky, its going to be 2 inches for 10gallons. so i can only one big fish and one small fish in my 75 (about 15 inches total)?

thanks for ur input. i tried to search but didnt know the best way to word it.

Welcome to AA :D

If you haven’t read the post ”Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank” yet I’d recommend doing so. It has all the equipment listed that you will need and maintenance tips to help you enjoy your SW tank.

For stocking the SW “general rule” is 1” per 5 gal and should be followed closely till more experience/filtration is achieved.

I noticed that most of the fish you listed are fairly aggressive and if keeping aggressive fish I’d avoid any tangs.

Hara’s site has a good compatible fish list for your sized tank.

The Humu Picasso Triggerfish & Humu Rectangle Triggerfish both are large messy eaters and just one of these fish would be close to maxing out a 75 gal tank with no other tank mates. Not many other tank mates would even be compatible.

The Snowflake Eel is fine but not with the larger aggressive triggers or puffers and would not recommend if wanting to house with the larger Volitan Lion.

The only puffers that I‘d recommend for a 75 gal would be the Hawaiian Spotted Puffer, Saddle Puffer, & Saddle Valentini Puffer. Also know that they need hard shelled foods to keep wear down their teeth.

Most Lionfish would be fine for your tank but also keep in mind that many of them get big and are messy eaters.

Excellent filtration and a strict PWC/maintenance schedule would have to be adhered to.

thanks so much for your reply. i did more researching last night and found some great information on this site. i pretty much already ruled out the powder blue tang ( or any tang ). the first fish on my list is the lion fish but i want more than one fish in my tank. it sounds like the proper way to do this is to have one fish (at least the ones i picked out) in my 75 ( or anything else that total less than 15inches at adulthood.) i am also currently looking for a 150 gallon tank. however i am waiting for the best deal possible so it might take me a few years lol. as for the compatitablity of the fish, it sounds like its either hit or miss. of course there are some general combos that one should just stay away from. on the other hand, i have heard mix reviews on tiggers and lion or puffy and lion. i guess the first step i will do is set up my tank. from there i will have at least a few months to think about what to get. in the meantime i guess i will watch the demsels i will used for starter lol.

anyone else with any comments would be helpful as i am going to continue reading more in this site. thanks

thanks for the link, very useful information.

i wasnt planning on using demsels right away to set up my tank. i was going to use live bio balls and live rocks to start. after a few months then i was going add a demsel or two. i figure it would take me quite a few months before adding a bigger and more expensive fish. i am just worring about adding an expensive as the very first fish to my tank. however i am doing more research on sw tanks in general. once i learn more, my method might alter. but thanks again for ur input, i will put that method into use when i am already to go.

Cycle with the shrimp and make the first fish something you really want (clown etc). You will only want to get rid of the damsels later because they will limit what you can have. (very mean)

Back
Top Bottom