Charlie's Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie.636

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey there! Finally got my tank started.

20 gallon tank
Aquaclear powerhead
Aquaclear filter
100w heater
120w dimmable led

15 lbs of sand
8lbs of rock (all my LFS had right now)

I need a background for my tank, more rock and I have eggcrate for the top so I'm going to get that done ASAP.

My temp is 76 right now
And salinity is 1.022

What do I do next ?? Haha :)

Attachments

• image-1530141949.jpg
    image-1530141949.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 183
  • image-2529523935.jpg
    image-2529523935.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 196
Awesome :) I was going to say you might want some more rock, but you're already on that so good. Raise the salinity to around 1.025-7. Now you just have to wait until the cycle is over. You might need another ammonia source like pure ammonia or a table shrimp.

Lights on and top of tank finished

Attachments

• image-3472996475.jpg
    image-3472996475.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 183
I used the old hood and put egg crate in it.

Attachments

• image-3237604200.jpg
    image-3237604200.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 163
Thanks!! I'm new to SW tanks. So it's all a learning process. Going to get some more LR and wait for my tank to cycle. And keep testing my water

Any other tips?

If you aren't running a sump/refugium I personally like the look of hiding all the equipment. Just me though :)

But as far a tips. Take it slow! This hobby nothing happens fast

Looks much better without the hood (y). Tips..hmm, consistency=success and be well prepared for mistakes because they will happen one time or another.

Thanks! I am gonna get a background for my tank so you can't see the cords. As much as I can do for hiding equipment in a small tank.

I'm going to do my water test this evening and ill post it. I have the API master kit. I'm not sure what I'm looking for to know my tank has cycled. I understand how to do the tests.

My first water test two days in to my tank started.

Is this good or bad? Help lol

Attachments

• image-1859034479.jpg
    image-1859034479.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 136
It looks like your cycle hasn't started. Double check the amm test, I have never seen a clear result. I like to test daily through the cycle so you can see when Amm spikes (ideally to 4ppm) then the rise in nitrite followed by 0 am, 0 nitrite and high nitrates. Then It's big water change time and first fish!

It did have a bit of a yellow tint to it. The picture don't really do its justice. Okay I'll check it everyday

When it's cycled it will look just like that ^. The reason why we know it's not cycled is because it would have been way too fast, not enough ammonia source, and there wasn't a raise in ammonia.

The ammonia will go up, then the nitrite, and finally the nitrate. When ammonia and nitrite go down and you're left with nitrate, do a large water change.

It looks like your cycle hasn't started. Double check the amm test, I have never seen a clear result.

+1 to retest. A hint of yellow is not what the result should be. It should be an opaque yellow about the same darkness as the chart shows. Not a light or transparent colour. If you get a similar result, I'd throw it our as it isn't working.

Just did the two ammonia tests today from my api kit. Weird results haha my salinity is 1.023

Attachments

• image-1495971492.jpg
    image-1495971492.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 82
Back
Top Bottom