Cheap Containers for Storing RO/DI and SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
My LFS has some nice square 5 gallon containers but they are over $10 each. I am only running a 28 gallon reef and will be doing my own RO/DI filtration but I'd like to keep about 15 gallons of mixed/aged SW on hand in case a 50% emergency water change is needed.

Any cheap alternatives such as Rubbermaid containers? Does mixed SW need to be in a completely sealed (air-tight) container to store? I'd like to mix in 5 gallon increments (too much work for 1 gallon jugs...LOL)

Any cheap alternatives such as Rubbermaid containers?

Rubbermaid tubs will work fine - that's what I use.

Does mixed SW need to be in a completely sealed (air-tight) container to store? I'd like to mix in 5 gallon increments (too much work for 1 gallon jugs...LOL)

You don't want it air-tight because you still want some air exchange going on. Plus, assuming you run a heater and powerhead (recommended) in the storage tub, the cords will give you a nice air gap. But do keep it covered.

I have a 32G trash bucket (with wheels) that I constantly keep, with a ph and heater, no cover.

I use big plasic garbage cans (without holes on the bottoms of course) :) Found that to be the cheapest route to go.

Rubbermaid tubs will work fine -
You don't want it air-tight because you still want some air exchange going on. But do keep it covered.
I never really took that into consideration I guess. I have 2 tubs a 32gallon trash can for RO/DI water and a 20gallon trash can for mixing saltwater both have a heater and just the mixing tub I use a powerhead. I keep the lids on them all the time to prevent dust and debree from getting in them When I leave the lid off for a bit I usually find hair on the top of the water?? my garbage can are probably air tight since there is no hole in the lid are you suggesting to cut a hole in the lid for air exchange??

Back
Top Bottom