Cheap preventions for green water and algae in small ponds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdok

Aquarium Advice Regular
SOMEONE REPLY PLEASE. Hello i have a very small pond , approx 1 metre in length , and i am having a problem with green water and it even sometimes looks cloudy , i am currently running the water through a bucket of stones to filter it a bit , any advice please?

Green water usually means too much nitrogen or phosphorus; any way to change the water and dilute some of that out?

Green water usually means too much nitrogen or phosphorus; any way to change the water and dilute some of that out?
thanks for replying , yea we do small water changes every now and again , we have just built a new biological filter with lava rock and netting and sponges etc , hopefully in a couple of weeks the good bacteria will build up and help clear the pond

In my experience it is because of sunlight primarily. There are a few ways to help reduce green water, you could strip the water of nutrients, which isn't the best idea. Shading the pond either with terrestrial or semi aquatics helps also, or using some type of floater plants, although that method gives a smaller viewing area.

I've used some of the water clearing products on the market and most have been fairly good, haven't really seen any side effects, but I'd do some research before using just in case.

Ultimately though the best solution I've found is just to go with UV attachment.

Once the pond gets established the cloudy water might leave but the bacteria is not going to clear the green water.

In my experience it is because of sunlight primarily. There are a few ways to help reduce green water, you could strip the water of nutrients, which isn't the best idea. Shading the pond either with terrestrial or semi aquatics helps also, or using some type of floater plants, although that method gives a smaller viewing area.

I've used some of the water clearing products on the market and most have been fairly good, haven't really seen any side effects, but I'd do some research before using just in case.

Ultimately though the best solution I've found is just to go with UV attachment.

Once the pond gets established the cloudy water might leave but the bacteria is not going to clear the green water.
Thanks for the ideas , ive been using a uv filtering umbrella to shade the pond , mine is a fairly small pond so spending alot of moeny on it seems pointless , i think chemicals willl be the next step even though i hate them , oh and its strange you say that the good bacteria wont help because everywhere else ive read and all other advice ive gotten says it will , so ill keep at that because it wont do any harm , thanks

We are just trying to help!

Try and listen to the advice given and if you disagree with something then please kindly say it.

Thanks
Aston

We are just trying to help!

Try and listen to the advice given and if you disagree with something then please kindly say it.

Thanks
Aston
i did kindly say it , tone cant be heard in writing.

sorry jetjockey if you thought i was being "rude" because i honestly wasn't, thanks for your advice

Add barley straw to the filter. It comes in a bag,concentrat or pellets. I use a UV on my large pond and a bag of barley straw on my small pond. Most pond supply shops or online have it. PS It's natural. But it's the miss use of chemicals that's harmfull. PSS It may take a few weeks to work but it works.

Back
Top Bottom