Cheap RO/DI Equipment Alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought I would share this for those in the market for a new RO/DI unit. A month ago, I purchased one of those cheap RO/DI units on ebay for under $100. After purchasing a TDS meter, I discovered that my new 5 stage RO/DI unit was puting out very high TDS measurement. I originally attributed this to the carbon taste filter that I failed to remove. When I removed it, I did get a couple of really low measurements and thought the problem was solved. However, when I tested again, although lower, the TDS was still up around 100. I then tried to see if the RO membrane was making a seal. Well, a whole roll of teflon tape later, I was able to get it to seal and am now getting TDS measurements under 10.

The point I am trying to make is basically you get what you pay for. For those of you that went that route and are getting high measurements, you might want to consider this "mod". All-in-all I don't regret the purchase. However, I am disappointed that I have been using substandard water for the last month!

Definitely now that it works, definitely worth the $. However, its prime example of the necessity of a TDS meter.

That's one I have, 6 stage with 4 gallon storage tank, paid $99 with about $35 in shipping. I also bought the their cheapie TDS meter for about $15. My tap water reads way over 250 and my ro/di water now reads about 20. I wonder how good the meter is.

Back
Top Bottom