Chemical Spill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexp08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 75 gallon tank from a guy. it has a wood stand. He said that he had split chemicals in the bottom. There in a strong odor associated with it. When would be the best way to get the odor out??

If it is the tank, you can try baking soda with a small amount of white vinegar, let it sit for a few hours, then wash it out thoroughly with fresh water..........

Ok the stand can be washed with soap and water use a scrubbing brush, keep the soap away from the tank.......put gloves on just in case

Last edited:
You can sprinkle baking soda over it and let it sit for awhile, then paint the area with Kilz primer to seal whatever it is in. Kilz works on most anything.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

You can sprinkle baking soda over it and let it sit for awhile, then paint the area with Kilz primer to seal whatever it is in. Kilz works on most anything.

Also a fun product to use in a small room... *sarcasm* great product (kilz) use in a well ventilated area.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also a fun product to use in a small room... *sarcasm* great product (kilz) use in a well ventilated area.

I'm highly sensitive to chemicals (cheap interior paint gives me bronchitis) and don't have a problem with the water based one. Maybe the formula has changed.

I'm highly sensitive to chemicals (cheap interior paint gives me bronchitis) and don't have a problem with the water based one. Maybe the formula has changed.

May also be a different formula between canada and the states (I'm assuming you are from there, sorry if I'm wrong). Like Pepsi and coke, they have different sweeteners depending on which side of the bored you are on.

May also be a different formula between canada and the states (I'm assuming you are from there, sorry if I'm wrong). Like Pepsi and coke, they have different sweeteners depending on which side of the bored you are on.

Quite possible! We have differences here state to state too. It's possible my recollection is from California which restricts things more. I'd think Canada's would be healthier, we in the US are usually such total idiots about "better living through chemistry."

Soooooo ... Baking soda! If it's an oily substance a soak in a paste of washing soda and dawn dish detergent may help. But at some point you probably just have to seal the wood well with a Kilz like substance that is not, itself, too toxic.

Well im back, i forgot about this thread as the tank has been sitting in my basement as i didnt have the money to get it running. But anyways, i tried vinegar/water mix (heard it worked for smells) it had no effect. Then i used that flex seal stuff as i had it laying around, still no effect.
I have no idea what the spill was from as when i picked it up the guy had it on his porch so i didnt know it smelled till i got it home in a closed area.
Anyways, i will try the kliz but is there anything else i could try as well?

Back
Top Bottom