Cherry Barb Issue!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncgirl1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently finished a fishless cycle and added 9 cherry barbs. They've been doing great. Until tonight! So far, only one fish is affected. I have Paraguard on hand so started this tonight. I tried to get a picture but apparently lethargic fish with white patch comes to life when he sees a camera and runs away!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability : Cherry Barb has a small, white area above his tail. He's more brown than red like the rest of them. He's not swimming around like the others.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, 7.4 ph. Using API Master Test Kit.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? Fishless cycle completed 1.5 weeks ago. Fish added Saturday 2/21.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number: Aquaclear 50 & Aquaclear 70

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 9 cherry barbs. 1" to 1.5 "

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? I haven't done one since the day before fish were added.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Since Saturday 2/23. Floating and then drip acclimation.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Not since fish were added

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Omega One Flakes

I just started over after a parasite and then columnaris destroyed my tank so I may be a bit paranoid. Thank you, in advance, for helping!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That sounds a lot like fungus. Quarantining the fish and adding aquarium salt and some fungus get-rid-of stuff (I forgot what it's called) should fix it.

That sounds a lot like fungus. Quarantining the fish and adding aquarium salt and some fungus get-rid-of stuff (I forgot what it's called) should fix it.

That is what I was thinking. :( I started Paraguard tonight. It says it treats fungus on the bottle. I really don't want to use salt due to my plants. However, I will do so if you think it's really necessary??

If you're ever worried about plants - and there are medicines that cannot be used with plants - it would be helpful for you to get a quarantine tank. Cycle a filter in your main tank, get a QT running and most of your worries can be solved.

Also if you have inverts get a QT because in the event you need medication that cannot be with inverts you would QT that fish.

Paraguard is a bit of a cure all, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if it has the ingredients.

If you're ever worried about plants - and there are medicines that cannot be used with plants - it would be helpful for you to get a quarantine tank. Cycle a filter in your main tank, get a QT running and most of your worries can be solved.

Also if you have inverts get a QT because in the event you need medication that cannot be with inverts you would QT that fish.

Paraguard is a bit of a cure all, but I don't see why it wouldn't work if it has the ingredients.

Thank you! I have a QT tank. However, these cherry barbs are fast and I'm worried trying to catch them will make them worse. So far, the white patch is still there. I haven't seen it on the other fish yet. The cherries are the only fish in the tank so no worries about other fish. I'm going to continue Paraguard. I'm gonna do a water change tonight. The parameters are still excellent but I've read a water change can help anyway. I'm also feeding medicated food (metro). Hopefully this is just the stress of being new fish and not something worse. I'm also concerned that whatever it is may be affecting the others since they've all been together and I just haven't seen it yet. I am really hoping they will be fine!!

tbh it probably got nipped and its slightly infected, i would just to large water changes daily or every other day. pristine water is the key

tbh it probably got nipped and its slightly infected, i would just to large water changes daily or every other day. pristine water is the key

I just did about a 40% change. Is that large enough? Or should I do more or less? Thanks for helping!

I just did about a 40% change. Is that large enough? Or should I do more or less? Thanks for helping!

monitor the fish, make sure its eating and not getting worse, this shouldnt spread at all. can we see a pic?

yeah, i would aim at daily or every other day 50-75% but 40% works

monitor the fish, make sure its eating and not getting worse, this shouldnt spread at all. can we see a pic?

yeah, i would aim at daily or every other day 50-75% but 40% works

He is eating and doesn't look worse. Not better either. I've tried to get a picture since I noticed it yesterday but haven't been able to. Apparently he is not fond of the camera. I will keep trying as I know it would help for you to see it. Thanks so much for the help!

I just happened to walk by and he was right there so here are the best pictures I could get. I hope this will help! Let me know what you think please. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424915811.365099.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424915836.524564.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424915859.586581.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424915881.262752.jpg

honestly not seeing anything that wrong here... maybe got nipped but doesnt look to be that bad at all. just water changes and a good diet should help!

honestly not seeing anything that wrong here... maybe got nipped but doesnt look to be that bad at all. just water changes and a good diet should help!

Awesome! I hope you are right. I will keep updating. Thanks again ?

I'm with Matty.. From those pics it does not look like anything too serious..
Looks like a bite to me, from here.

I'm with Matty.. From those pics it does not look like anything too serious..
Looks like a bite to me, from here.

I'm so glad to hear that you both think that! I had an awful parasite that wiped out my entire tank so I am starting over after that and may be a bit paranoid. Thank you for taking a look for me!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the parasite? And do you know how it got into your tank?
Those things freak me out too!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the parasite? And do you know how it got into your tank?
Those things freak me out too!

To be honest, I am not sure. It started out that one fish died and then another. And then it was fish tank armegeddon. I got 3 new cory catfish that I didn't QT (lesson learned) and I am sure that they brought whatever it was with them. I couldn't find anything wrong with the fish that were dying at first. Then as time went on several different things happened. Secondary infections like fungus. It was a mess. I treated for different things before I determined it was a parasite. The fungus went away and the deaths slowed down. But eventually, they all died. Once I started treating for parasites, they got better for a little while but I think they were to sick at that point to save. Oddly, my blue ram was the last to go. I thought they were supposed to be fragile. That was not the case with mine. He was like the Superman of blue rams. All of this started back at Christmas and he just died a couple of weeks ago. :(

Oh man.. Sorry to hear.. That tough.. I guess that just happens sometimes, maybe a qt tank would have helped.
Best of luck with the new setup!

Oh man.. Sorry to hear.. That tough.. I guess that just happens sometimes, maybe a qt tank would have helped.
Best of luck with the new setup!

I am sure that a QT tank would have helped. That's why I have one now. That was a hard lesson learned for sure. Thanks for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom