Cherry Barbs as community fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

I did some research and consulted with my LFS who assured me that Cherry Barbs were a good community fish, if kept in groups. Everything that I read, said that they were friendly and peaceful, so I bought 4 last week. They've developed a fascination for my older Corey. I have a little one that they pay no attention to, but I also have one that is actually relatively large compared to most of my community fish and they harass her. One was nipping at her top fin tonight and I noticed that when one leaves off, another comes in. She has many places to get away and sometimes goes into the Water Sprite plant and stays in there. She's doesn't seem totally intimidated my them, because she comes out quite often, but what gives? This is the only other fish in my community tank that they've found so interesting, but if this continues, I'm taking them back. I've had the Corey for over two years and hate to see her harassed. She just came out and after just a few seconds, they started picking on her so she went back into the plant. She's much bigger than they are, and they're all quite small.

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks-D

IMO, barbs of any species in a community tank are a gamble. Not saying that they won't work, just keep a watchful eye.

Cherry barbs are generally very peaceful, however temperament varies and sometimes you will end up with a more aggressive bunch. Depending on how new these barbs are to the tank, this could be just a "show them who's boss" thing that will wear off. I have had those kind of things happen before.

You need more than 4, generally barbs can get nippy if you don't have a school big enough to keep them occupied.:)

You need more than 4, generally barbs can get nippy if you don't have a school big enough to keep them occupied.:)

Cherry Barbs are the exception. They are not nippy at all and one of the most peaceful shy fish their is. I have had as few as 4 in my tank and now have 7.

Thanks for your responses. I have a very peaceful tank and didn't want anything nippy in there at all. They're leaving the Corey alone this morning, but it was feeding time and so far so good; I'll keep a close eye.

Yes, they are new to the tank, I put them in 4 days ago and at first I didn't see any of the behavior I saw last night, but I was wondering the night before why my Corey was hiding in the Water Sprite because I had never seen her do that before. I thought I should have gotten 5 rather than 4, and can always go back. It just seems odd that she's the only fish out of the different species in the tank that they're picking on-and it's not just one of them. If one gets distracted another one will "pick" ;) up where that one left off.

I appreciate the feedback. This is the place I go to when I need information.
D

That's odd that they are showing interest in your Cory. Mine barely even acknowledge each other. Lol

Hey Wiggles-here's another strange thing; I have a baby Cory that they pay no attention to at all, just the big one I've had for a couple of years.

I'm not a big fan of barbs like I used to be. Even though they school well, I would rather have tetras than barbs. Also, one time I had Tiger Barbs harass my German Blue Rams.

I had 5 or 6 cherry barbs with a double tailed betta in a ten gallon aquarium (in the past) and I never had problems with them. Perhaps if you add to the group it will lessen any aggression. I had more females than males so that is something else to check.

Cherry Barbs are the exception. They are not nippy at all and one of the most peaceful shy fish their is. I have had as few as 4 in my tank and now have 7.

Much like bettas they have varying personalities. Most people have groups that are pretty docile. However there are stories of cherry barbs ripping angelfish to shreds, or more low-scale bullying. They are not as hit-and-miss in communities like bettas, 9 times out of 10 they are peaceful. But sometimes you just get one of those groups......

I'm not a big fan of barbs like I used to be. Even though they school well, I would rather have tetras than barbs. Also, one time I had Tiger Barbs harass my German Blue Rams.

I'm not surprised - Tiger barbs are very nippy fish.

I got odessa barbs 2.5" and they are fine with my zebra danios and tetras

Attachments

• image-3126736980.jpg
    image-3126736980.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image-1273763906.jpg
    image-1273763906.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 33
Fish are same as cats dogs and birds temprements vary.

Much like bettas they have varying personalities. Most people have groups that are pretty docile. However there are stories of cherry barbs ripping angelfish to shreds, or more low-scale bullying. They are not as hit-and-miss in communities like bettas, 9 times out of 10 they are peaceful. But sometimes you just get one of those groups......

I'm not surprised - Tiger barbs are very nippy fish.

I have two black marbled angelfish too and they're coming out tomorrow if they continue to harass the cory. I'll take them back to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom