Cherry Barbs or Flame Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizzyBeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently saw a tank with cherry barbs in it and I sort of fell in love with how they look. When I first started researching fish, I read that barbs in general were notorious fin nippers, and so I didn't look into barbs. But having seen the cherry barbs (and saw that they left the golden danios in the tank alone), I looked into them. Sounds like they're rather peaceful. Anyone have experiences to the contrary?

My stocking list for a 29g was to be (I'm still cycling):
1 Pearl Gourami
6 Peppered Cories
6 Zebra Danios
6 Von Rio Flame Tetras

Now I'm wondering if maybe subbing in say 6 Cherry Barbs instead of the Flame Tetras would work? Which would you guys do, I just sort of want some opinions.

Also, I've read that one should have even numbers of cherry barbs with an even split of male/female. Is this accurate? Really I just want some opinions so I'd love to hear back.

I had a few cherry barbs, and never had a problem with fin nipping. I kept them with gourami's which are also fairly nippy/agressive sometimes, and also had then with Rainbows. if you keep them with an even remotely "active" fish, they should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom