Cherry red shrimp algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

__b_3_n__

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking of getting some cherry shrimp and I sorta have a weird fungus/algae growing on the glass... I asked a good friend at a pet store who is very knowledgeable and he said that amano shrimp would mow it down but I am looking for a shrimp with more color that will do the same thing any suggestions?

It depends on what kind of algae it is. If it is fungus the shrimp are not going to eat it. If we can ID the algae, it will help determine if any of the ornamental shrimp will eat it or not.

I have two tanks with cherry shrimp. A 29 gallon community tank and a 2.5 gallon shrimp tank. Both heavily planted. I let green algae grow on the sides of both tanks, but in the 2.5G the shrimp hardly let the algae grow; probably bcuz of the amount of shrimp in the tank. The 29G is a different story and every so often I have to clean the sides since the shrimp dont eat as much. Red cherries will not eat BBA which I have as well.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Appears to be hair algae, and quite a bit of it. It would take A LOT of shrimp to take care of this much growth. A few Amanos are great to have in a tank to help out with maintenance, but they are not going to cover up a large nutrient or light imbalance that is resulting in this much growth. My advice would be to determine what is causing the algae to grow, and fix that, and then look at some shrimp.

Red Cherrys will eat some algae as well by the way (not nearly as much as amanos), but again even with a huge colony they wouldn't be able to keep up with the algae in the photo.

Yea I have scrubbed it clean multiple times but it seems to come back... Are there any cures? Like that I could put in the water?

Yea I have scrubbed it clean multiple times but it seems to come back... Are there any cures? Like that I could put in the water?

Cut the hours your light is on. That may help in the short run but in the long run it needs a frequent scrubs and frequent water changes. Possibly look into new lighting.

Back
Top Bottom