cherry shrimp in an outside bucket?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niccobacci11

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an 18 gallon bucket outside with a uv sterilizer, power head, and a home made filter out of a pump, water bottle, and sponges. I live in San Diego and the temp gets up to about 85 but in the summer it gets to 100. I am using it to grow plants and I just want a little bit of a clean up crew. The water goes from about 50 and night to 85 plus during the day. My thinking is that they could survive the temperatures because it happens really slow and they have time to adjust. The tank gets full sun but will probably move it to getting about 6-7 hours of morning sun. Would they survive? Will they breed?

If you need more information just ask I don't know if I missed anything.
i wasn't getting any answers in the invert section so I'm trying here where more people look.

In general regular fluctuations in temperature aren't good for fish though the situation may be different for shrimp. I also believe that actually measuring or calculating the precise fluctuation may give a better idea whether or not they'll survive. Otherwise this seems to be a good idea But wouldn't there be less complication if you brought the bucket inside

As cruel as it sounds id buy some and test it. Then again, I have an inkling it will be fine.

I don't think 100 or 50 degrees would go over well. Red Cherry Shrimp do well in conditions as low as 60 and as high as 80. They are beautiful shrimp though, I have some myself.

i think i will test out some of my lower grade cherry shrimp and see what happens.
ill post in like two weeks if they are alive or in a few days if they die.

So its been over a month and every once in a while I will move a plant and see one or two of the five I put in, but I think one or two may have died, but I didn't find any bodies so it is possible that they all survived.
I don't think im going to add any more though.

Interesting idea. Im kinda surprised any survived. In a natural setting temperature fluctuations are off set by the large water volume of a lake/river/pond, meaning it takes much longer to heat up or cool down, and the fact that the earth under the water retains heat from the sun and it dissipates back into the water when the water gets colder. I wouldn't think a bucket on the back porch could replicate either one of these things...

It hasn't been as hot here as it usually is, it got up to low 80s and down to high fifties this past month so the changes weren't as drastic as i thought they would be, but I think they are goners once the temperature get up into nineties.

Back
Top Bottom