Cherry Shrimps in high tech tank - ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

punky

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I am thinking about introducing cherry shrimps in a planted tank which I dose using EI. Is it ok? Since I heard shrimps are a bit sensitive to fertilizers.

Thanks.

Yes it's ok.......not advisable by alot of people but IME cherries are plenty tough.
They can take it........start low with the dosing.........gradually work up to the correct dosage and keep up with the weekly water changes.....you'll be fine.

I keep my Cherry Red Shrimp in a high tech tank with EI dosing. They're doing fine, though it's possible that they would be breeding faster in a tank with less fertilization.

Cherry shrimp do great for me also under high-light, high ferts (EI), high CO2, etc. I think mine also breed a little bit slower for me in those conditions, as Purrbox mentioned, but all the better, because otherwise I would be overrun.

I find them to be one of the tougher shrimp to kill. You should be fine as long as you don't have any fish that will eat them.

I have two Salwnsis (Kubotai) loaches in my 38-gallon tank, and they completely ignore my (1/2- to 1-inch) Amano shrimp (and of course my large 3-inch Flower shrimp). Would these loaches eat the smaller (< 1/2-inch) Red Cherry shrimp, though?

I have a small chinese algae eater at the bottom. Does it bother them? If yes I will get rid of him.

If they can fit the shrimp in their mouth, they are likely to make a snack out of them.

CAE only dislike flat fishes (IE Gouramis), they don't care about shrimp.

All carnivorous fish (which is most fish) will snack on small shrimps. Botia generally don't bother shrimp ones they get larger. Just have lots of moss and grass for them to hide in.

I heard this about CAEs too as I have mine with an Angel and 2 Silver Dollars. The only fish the CAE bothers are my balas. He has a fun time chasing them around the tank when they invade his space.

My cherries were doing great and breeding in high tech for a long time. Then the yoyo loaches who had lived with them for months just one day decided to eat all of them. I managed to rescue one male and female out of the hundred I had before.

Then the yoyo loaches who had lived with them for months just one day decided to eat all of them.

I had a similar experience with angelfish. They lived for 6 mos together, Angels and Black Cherry Shrimp. Then I decided to add some more Black Cherries to the population, small ones, the Angels ate a could cuz they were small enough to gobble. That gave them the taste for shrimp. Over the next two days they pack hunted every Black Cherry in the tank.

I've had cherry shrimp with high light co2 and EI. No problems as of yet. No breeding as of yet either. I have found that my bolivian rams really think snails and shrimp are quite tasty though!

Back
Top Bottom