Chichlids - ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hankster123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was hoping for some advice. I have a 65 gallon tank with african chichlids rift lake. Got 5 new fish (had 4, and one catfish) Fish got ich and all died but 3 new babies. Question 1 - I had to move tank for new carpet. Could not move unless unassembled. Put fish in 30 gallon for a few days. Put in 65 G tank for 2 days got new fish all seemed good for two weeks then in two days 6 died (all my 12yr old fish) Could it be moving the tank that caused it or the new fish. Pet store says all fish have it and when stressed destroys. Did not tell pet store of moving tank, they said it was stress of adding 5 new small fish at once.
Second, tank has no fish. what is the fastest way to kill the ich so I can get new fish soon?

Third, baby fish in 30 tank. No time to cycle. did put in ich med, no carbon. Will they be ok or what should I do so they dont die. Dont look sick now.

Thank you for your help

First not all fish have it. Ich is a parasite so it comes from some place, new fish, live food, floating in new water from the pet store but it is not innate to the fish them selves. Many petstores say all fish or all water has ich so they are not blamed for selling sick fish. This has been disproven.

Second Stress causes the fishes immune system to be weakened so it susceptible to ich in the tank.

Since they most died I am guessing you used ich medication. I could never beat ich using ich medicine it always killed my fish.

To conquer ich use the heat/salt method works every time. 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons and raise the temp in the tank to 82-84 degrees. Continue treatment for 1 week after the last sign of ich. For the baby fish do water changes to remove the ich medication and put carbon back in the filter. The meds stress the fish even more.

First not all fish have it. Ich is a parasite so it comes from some place, new fish, live food, floating in new water from the pet store but it is not innate to the fish them selves. Many petstores say all fish or all water has ich so they are not blamed for selling sick fish. This has been disproven.

Second Stress causes the fishes immune system to be weakened so it susceptible to ich in the tank.

Since they most died I am guessing you used ich medication. I could never beat ich using ich medicine it always killed my fish.

To conquer ich use the heat/salt method works every time. 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 5 gallons and raise the temp in the tank to 82-84 degrees. Continue treatment for 1 week after the last sign of ich. For the baby fish do water changes to remove the ich medication and put carbon back in the filter. The meds stress the fish even more.

I agree the heat and salt method worked well for me and did not take long to kill if treated at first sight of ich never will i have to purchase ich med

I agree the heat and salt method worked well for me and did not take long to kill if treated at first sight of ich never will i have to purchase ich med

I am currently ending and winning my battle with ich using heat and salt. Im using 2 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5gallons. Temp at 86. Ich got worse the first 3-4 days and its day 7 and no signs of reinfection or ich*knock on wood*. If you can temperature match perfectly i would do daily water changes of 10-20% everyday and sunstrate vacuum for the first week. Use medication as a last resort. I was sceptical at first of salt+heat but all my cichlids are happy and healthy

I am currently ending and winning my battle with ich using heat and salt. Im using 2 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5gallons. Temp at 86. Ich got worse the first 3-4 days and its day 7 and no signs of reinfection or ich*knock on wood*. If you can temperature match perfectly i would do daily water changes of 10-20% everyday and sunstrate vacuum for the first week. Use medication as a last resort. I was sceptical at first of salt+heat but all my cichlids are happy and healthy

Congrats same here fish are healthy and happy thanks to salt and heat almost thought i was done lol

+1 for heat treating ich, the salt isn't even needed really. i never used it. just increment the heat up to just over 85 and leave it there at least a week after seeing the last sign of ich. I would usually go 2 weeks.

Actually after one last annoying bout I kept the temp at 80 permanently and never saw another sign of ich again.

I know others won't agree but salt and heat aren't always the answer. An excellent product I use called Kordons Rid Ich + has yet to fail me (knock on wood). I've saved multiple rams with it and even loaches who are susceptible to chemical treatments. This is the only medication I will ever recommend.

Back
Top Bottom