Chiclid/barb combo tank, barbs sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XaViOrSu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I am fairly new to fish so please bare with me.
From what I know my tank is fairly well set up. I have bought a heater and filter to suit my tank which is 4(long)x2(height). I have a variety of plastic plants and plenty of ornaments for my fish to hide in.
I have 1 full grown eartheater chiclid, 13 baby chiclids (from breeding), 1 baby convict, 2 Rosie barbs, 2 tiger barbs and a yellow and black/green barb. I do apologize for my lack of information on them but it's hard to find out there exact species.
Anyway my issue is this, my eartheater chiclids are doing well and so are my Rosie barbs. My convict has occasionally been hiding near the filter yet he is a little dominant. The tiger barbs seem to have the same behavior. I have previously had another yellow (possibly albino TB?) and 2 black/green but they died within 2 weeks from getting them from the pet shop. At the moment they all get along and all swim perfect apart from my little black/green barb. I have a small space above my filter and he seems to sit there for the majority of the time. He occasionally eats but tends to spit some food out. All barbs but the rosies have reddish gills and I have previously salt bathed the tank thinking it could be flukes. I have a mixture of tropical flakes, sinking and floating pellets. Ph is hard (around 8) and I treat it with a chlorine and chloramine aged since it comes from my tap. The tank gets dirty within a week and there is a build up of algea in the tank after a few days. I've been told I leave the lights on a bit too much and I have algea control drops but I have not used them yet. My next step is to check the nitrate etc levels. I vac the rocks once a week and do a 25% water change. If I'm missing something please let me know.
Regards, adam

bad news and good news. sorry i havn't replied earlier my ipod doesnt like replying! its a 240 litre or 61.6 gallon tank. bad news is i lost my smallest barbs. one had no signs of my it passed but the other had no eyes and looked like its stomach came out. Quite stressful to see! i bought a test kit and my levels are this...
Ammonia : 1.0
Nitrite : less than 0.25
Nitrate : 20 ppm
I've also bought a Seachem Prime which removes Chlorine, Chloramine and Ammonia, as well as a new tank stability liquid, also seachem
I've done another water change and the first two days my first were still doing bad but have become better now. I have 14 baby chiclids, 1 adult and 4 barbs, would you say thats too many in a tank? What should i do from here? I am not buying any more fish until i fix this as i dont want to hurt any more

oh and PH is 7.6 and im using a API freshwater mater test it. has individual tubes and drops for testing with a colour chart

Back
Top Bottom