chiclid introductions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well at the lfs one say a worker told me that if u want to introdude more chiclids to my tank u should move the whole tank around and reorganize it so they feel likke they r new home and they wont hurt the new fish. well for my new 36 ima add some chiclids( i kno im not supposed to but i love them)
and i started it 2day and im thinking of adding more fish 2maro
1.add them all at once
2. add some now some later and rearrange the tank

what would u do and p.s. it is a new tank

If it is a new tank, I first would do a fishless cycle. Then I would add fish after the cycle. Depending on the cichlid you choose, and I would recommend dwarf cichlids for a tank of that size, I would add them in stages according to the aggression. I don't think adding large amounts of fish is a good idea. Add the more aggressive fish last.

The theory behind that recommendation is that cichlids that are established in the tank have mapped out territories. If you change the "scenery" around when introducing new cichlids, everyone is starting from scratch.

i plan to have red zebras and yellow labs i believe they r both lake malawi do u kno which is less agressive?

since i plan to get a pleco and a clown loach i may add them 1st then chiclids later

maybe final stock would be
2 yellow labs
2 red zebra
1/2 jewel chiclids
1 pleco? will he get along with the chiclids
2 clown loach? will he get along?

how would that work?

The labs are the less aggressive of the Africans. The clown loach will grow much too big for a 36 gal tank. Plus, they like to have other loach "friends" and the tank isn't big enough to support a grouping. Depending on which Pleco you choose, it may get too large also. Since its a smaller tank, a dwarf pleco would be best, not a common pleco. They are huge waste producers and will cause the Nitrates to sky rocket. My Africans do not bother the Pleco's. But some people have had problems with them. For the Jewel Cichlid, are you speaking of this one: Pseudotropheus spec. "Elongatus Ruarwe"? I believe there is also a South American Jewel Cichlid. If you're speaking of the South American, they do not mix well together. In general, Africans and South/Central American Cichlids should not be mixed due to different diet and water requirements. Could you move the Africans from the 20 to the 36? They will need a larger tank anyways.

Zagz said:
If it is a new tank, I first would do a fishless cycle. Then I would add fish after the cycle.

Nitrous, please listen to Zagz. A new tank has no nitrogen cycling bacteria. Adding fish at this point is irresponsible and inhumane, especially when a fishless cycle is such and easy and safe way to prepare the tank for aquatic life.

Also if you are actually planning to have an african cichlid tank then i wouldn't get loaches at all... yes i do have clown loaches in my 55 gallon but that is becuase i bought them before i decided to do african cichlids. They just require differnt water parameters and it may not be the healthiest situation for the tank.

since you have other tanks set up why don't you take the filter for your new tank and run it on your 20 gallon for about a week and then you can start adding fish with a seeded filter. If you do it carefully you may have a completely cycled tank from the beginning. That's what i did with my 10 gallon.. well actually i used filter media from my 55 for the 10 gallon, but its the same idea.

for the fishless u just buy some raw shrimp and leave it in there and that article didnt say anything about waterchanges if i recall correctly. i dont kno if im going to do it tho bc my tanks now were all fish cycle and that worked for me but i may try the fishless cycle if there are no water changes it may be much easier and cheaper

but for the order when i do add fish ill proly add the yellow labs 1st then the red zebras

It is alot better on the fish involved to go with a fishless cycle. There is no way that they can receive ammonia burns on their gills or Nitrite poisoning. Basically it's more humane. You can use raw shrimp or pure ammonia. The pure ammonia method seems to be the preferred because you don't have to wait for the shrimp to decay and make a mess in the tank. It will be cloudy and gross looking. But either way is good. And you are correct, no water changes are needed so you don't have to worry about the health of the fish.

Fishyfanatic said:
It is alot better on the fish involved to go with a fishless cycle. There is no way that they can receive ammonia burns on their gills or Nitrite poisoning. Basically it's more humane. You can use raw shrimp or pure ammonia. The pure ammonia method seems to be the preferred because you don't have to wait for the shrimp to decay and make a mess in the tank. It will be cloudy and gross looking. But either way is good. And you are correct, no water changes are needed so you don't have to worry about the health of the fish.

exactly.. please think about it before you buy fish and subject them to that stress. And as i said, since you have tanks up and running use some filter media to seed your tank WHILE you fishless cycle.. it will make it faster. You can use pure ammonia from a hardware store.

so i can just go buy some pure ammonia and put some drops in and test my water and thats it?

Pretty much, yeah. PM TomK2, he has the formula for how much ammonia per gal of water.

Back
Top Bottom