Chiclid pair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
O trying to make a chiclid pair. Added anither and am hoping theyll pair up but if they dont and continue to fight, how long untill i take them out?

I would return those fish or upgrade to a larger tank. If they are from a mixed Malawi tank chances are they are Mbuna and have no business in a 10 gallon. Mbuna, Haps and Peacocks from lake Malawi need at minimum a 4' 55 gallon tank.

They should also be stocked in a 1 male to 4 female ratio to help prevent aggression. Plenty of caves and breaks in line of sight should also be provided.

Gboy66 said:
Hmm.. The guy said theyd b perfect..

Sounds like you need yo find a different lfs. The guy was probably just ignorant or just trying to get you to buy fish, but prolly a combo of both.

Ehh two differnet guys though. One of them the owner. They had ASSORTED CHICLIDS written on like a 7 gal fish several in there

Gboy66 said:
Ehh two differnet guys though. One of them the owner. They had ASSORTED CHICLIDS written on like a 7 gal fish several in there

That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't ignorant/ dishonest.

You've been given the advice. We can't make you do the right thing. We have no reason to give you bad advice. If telling you that makes you buy them, they do. Google mbuna tank size, you'll learn that 55g is the minimum by all standards, with rare exceptions for a select few.

Ya, but a little bit odd

Keep one thing in mind on here, our mortgages are not based on how many fish you buy...there's no benefit for us if you fill that tank with fish that will kill each other or get sick, cause then you'll come back for meds and more fish.

I agree with all the above. A simple google will tell you what the right housing and tankmates are, for the most part. Keep in mind these fish will get like 5-8 inches on average ( for mbuna ( lake Malawi) Haps and peacocks that are sometimes in these assorted tanks. I had to explain it to to someone once... When a baby is born... You dint keep him in it's crib for the remainder of it's life.... It's going to grow.... :) good luck. If you can't upgrade I think a pair of shellies will work?

Aside from the tank size, Malawi cichlids aren't pair-bonding fish like SA or CA cichlids. Typically a single male and 3-4 females is the best ratio, preferably in at least a 75 gallon tank. More than 1 male of any given species is likely to be picked on or killed outright by the dominant male unless there are 10-12 of them to spread the aggression around enough that no one fish gets hammered.
There really aren't any cichlids (aside from possibly Lamprologus multifasciatus) suitable for pairing up in a 10 gallon tank, even the relatively mellower SA or CA species that can be housed in a 20L for breeding are best paired up in a larger tank first. Cichlids are territorial fish, and when one or a pair claim a territory the others need room to get away or they'll be killed.

Back
Top Bottom