chiclids for a smaller tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonnyb1425

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am considering purchasing a setup just for chiclids. The problem is that my fiance is already upset with the amount of $ I spend on the hobby (it has become somewhat of an addiction in the short time I have been involved). Long story short... I want to know if there are any chiclids that can live successfully in an 10 gal. aquarium in pairs or maybe even three's? If so what kinds? And what should I put in the tank for them? I love the idea of planted aquariums, but I am also aware that many chiclids love to dig up what has been planted. Any advice would be great!

PS - Also looking to add some snails to my 25 gal. if anyone has any suggestions

Rams, apistos, or keyholes would do well in pairs or threes and with plants. If you have alkaline water, shell dwellers from Lank Tang are a good option. They like to move the substrate, but there are ways to keep the plants from going anywhere.

Let's not forget the African river cichlids like the 'kribensis' (Pelvicachromis species). In my experience they're less 'fussy' than Rams and some Apistogramma about water parameters, they don't get overly large, and they will generally breed like crazy if you give them a little cave.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom