Chinese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted a few days back about SAEs and False SAEs trying to figure out what I was given at the pet store when I purchased what was suppose to be an SAE.

I've been doing some looking since because I haven't found anything that really looks like my fish, it's not exactly like an SAE or a False SAE or a flying fox. Even all the mixed up opinions on which is which.

Then I came across the Chinese Algae eater and BINGO! This is def what I have. I'm not sure what to do now. From what I'm reading these things get nasty! I've read that they get larger than SAEs too. Though I'm not sure,I've read everything from they get 6 inches so they can get 10 or more.

I picked up 2 thinking they were SAEs, we currently have them in a 20 gallon but were thinking to move them into our 50 gallon when it's up and cycled, maybe just 1 in each I hadn't decided/figured out what would be best.. but now I'm not sure what to do. Our 50 was going to have angels which don't sound compatible and 20 gallons doesn't sound like it's going to work for 1 at this point.

I'm also having a hard time feeding them. They are seriously timid, they spend all of their time hiding and rarely come out in sight, if they are out anytime someone is near the tank they scatter. I've tried sinking algae wafers but my neons just attack them and over feed and the CAEs I don't even think they noticed they were there. They are still very small at this point, 2 inches maybe, will they get enough algae for now? I know they will stop eating algae as they get bigger,I just don't want them to starve.

I'm really debating trying to bring them back to the petstore though not sure what luck I would have trying to return them and convince them they gave me the wrong fish. The guy at the store was trying to tell me CAEs and SAEs are the same fish with the same scientific name. They have a good policy on dead fish in the first 7 days but I'm not sure if they take returns on life fish.

Back
Top Bottom