Cichild Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreeB1360

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I am completely new here so i hope im posting this in the right section...
Anyway, I have a 40 gallon breeder stocked with various cichlids that were recommended for my tank by the store i was in. This is my first time owning cichlids, but i have had some experience with community fish tanks. I dont think i have stocked wisely after researching each fish so I am really wondering if what i have can work for any period of time together in this tank.
So here is my stocking list: (all fish are approximately 3 inches in length)
3 yellow labs
4 peacocks
1 electric blue hap
1 tropheus duboisi
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 40 breeder is difficult for mbuna and other rift species as you don't really get the length...out of all of those, I'd keep only the yellow labs, add a few more, and focus on breeding and gain experience with keeping and breeding an easy mbuna species. Eventually you can upgrade and given you have experience try some more species, and more difficult ones. Obviously you don't have to do this, just what I'll advise. The hap (electric blue ahli) will get too large, the tropheus (although some people do it) typically shouldn't be mixed in with mbuna as they're from Tanganyika and have different behavior from Malawian fish. The peacocks will also get a button large for a 40 breeder. I have seen yellow labs kept in a 40, but typically as a species only ank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thankyou so much for the quick reply... would it be fine to keep the tank like this for any period of time? Like mabey move out the peacocks and hap when they start getting too big? And as for the tropheus, if there are no agression issues between it or the others can i keep it in there? or is this not wise?

Oh and i forgot to mention that i also have an african lace fin catfish in there.

I agree w/Freak....keep the yellow labs, or if you want a mix, you can add some Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty Cichlid) who are also peaceful and easy to maintain. The yellow on the lab and the purple on the rusty would make a nice contrast (unless you're not a Laker fan lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom