Cichlid Aggression Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingtrees

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I have 2 male apistogrammas (macmasteri ((<--bully))& trifasciata), one is more of a brute than the other. All seemingly acceptable levels of aggression, sort of brotherly but not Cain and Able.

The rainbows are aggressive but mostly to my glass when racing around! (So fun).

Anyway, what are acceptable levels of aggression in your tanks? What are warning signs you use other than the obvious signs? Obviously my cichlids are small so I think constant harassment is all I need to look for.

Developing a soft spot for my timid trifasciata. He is eating flakes and pellets from my fingers and won't battle with the others for food.

I tell ppl this often (I keep about 25 different species of cichlid) that semi-aggressive in fish lingo means some nipped fins and bullying. Aggressive means prob not good for others in the tank. Semi-aggressive by tetra standards means no one will prob be dead in the morning. Aggressive by those standards means they act like great white sharks, lol. All cichlid fish have their own personality, and they may be docile or not. You just never know. I have some dedicated single fish tanks for a few big boys that just can't play nice.

It's always hit and miss with cichlids. What works for others may not for you and vice versa. Unless you start seeing some damage, I'd just chalk it up to sorting dominance. They are tough fish, used to fighting for territory, food and mates in the wild

Back
Top Bottom