Cichlid Books

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What books would you suggest that are good for referencing? I'm looking to get some, because I have none...lol, and want to find the best, with the best photos and info! Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

Anything by Ad Konings is probably your best bet. I would avoid using books for anything besides to get stocking ideas. Allot of them are horribly outdated and have tons of bad info. Your best bet is to get info from forums, breeders or the national cichlid association. Also joining a local aquarium club is a good way to go.

Is there a certain fish you're curious about?

There is a cichlid DVD I got and encyclopedia of fish which was just about fish 403 pages long.

Mogurako said:
Anything by Ad Konings is probably your best bet. I would avoid using books for anything besides to get stocking ideas. Allot of them are horribly outdated and have tons of bad info. Your best bet is to get info from forums, breeders or the national cichlid association. Also joining a local aquarium club is a good way to go.

Is there a certain fish you're curious about?

No certain one, was just speaking in general. I've joined a local club here and get tons of info from this forum (I love it!!) But its always nice to have a few books handy. I know A LOT of them are outdated, so figured id ask here if there were any specific ones, better than others...

All of the care information is on-line. You wont be able to get a book that can beat a place like this for information. When you augment the knowledge here with other online resources, its just so much data. Now this is a beautiful book. Both volumes are great. Full page color cichlid pics. Male and female as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Cichlids-Pictorial-English-German-Chinese/dp/0964505800

Jmedic25 said:
All of the care information is on-line. You wont be able to get a book that can beat a place like this for information. When you augment the knowledge here with other online resources, its just so much data. Now this is a beautiful book. Both volumes are great. Full page color cichlid pics. Male and female as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Cichlids-Pictorial-English-German-Chinese/dp/0964505800

Yea, I kind of figured that...thanks for the link!!!!

kelbaker79 said:
No certain one, was just speaking in general. I've joined a local club here and get tons of info from this forum (I love it!!) But its always nice to have a few books handy. I know A LOT of them are outdated, so figured id ask here if there were any specific ones, better than others...

The Ed Konings back to nature guide: Lake Malawi or Tanganyika are great, they are my go to books. If Africans are your thing I'd highly recommend them.

Attachments

• image-2944000199.jpg
    image-2944000199.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1895360543.jpg
    image-1895360543.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 54
Mogurako said:
The Ed Konings back to nature guide: Lake Malawi or Tanganyika are great, they are my go to books. If Africans are your thing I'd highly recommend them.

They are my thing, that's what I was lookin for, thank you!!

For christmas i got "The Most Complete Coloured Lexicon of Cichlids"
and it is a fantastic book.Over 800 pages of different cichlids from all continents that they inhabit.Great pictures and a good write up on each cichlid.The only downside is the price at around $50.00

garfy said:
For christmas i got "The Most Complete Coloured Lexicon of Cichlids"
and it is a fantastic book.Over 800 pages of different cichlids from all continents that they inhabit.Great pictures and a good write up on each cichlid.The only downside is the price at around $50.00

Great! I'll look up that one also! Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom