Cichlid food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashifflett89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I was wondering if cichlids need special food or are regular tropical fish flakes good for them? I just got 2 African cichlid babies and they are getting along with my two sword tails, cat fish and pleco. I have had the cichlids for over a week and I'm happy to see the fish are getting along. I have read that other people had swordtails with cichlids so I tried it out with just one and then added the second and I have yet to see any of them pick on each other :) but my question is that I am new in owning cichlids and wanted to know if I hold be feeding them anything different.

Thanks!

Depending on the species and lake they are from dont feed them too much protein. A food with 40% protein or lower is recomended. If they get too much protein they can get bloat.

I feed mine lots of fresh veggies. Cucumber, zucchini, I freeze romaine and will clip a leaf to the inside. They really love it :)

I will def check to see how much protein is in the flakes I have already. That's interesting they love veggies lol never would've thought of that. So pretty much as long as I don't have a food over 40 protein I'm good to go. Thank you!

Ashifflett89 said:
I will def check to see how much protein is in the flakes I have already. That's interesting they love veggies lol never would've thought of that. So pretty much as long as I don't have a food over 40 protein I'm good to go. Thank you!

My Africans LOVE cucumber more than n e thing in the world lol the only thing left after I give it to them is the green rind lol

Some pics of them enjoying veggies :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120327_121249.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120327_121249.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 85
  • ForumRunner_20120327_121503.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120327_121503.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 81
Hi, how long can you leave cucumber in, if they don't eat it all after a day do you take it out?

Sistill said:
Hi, how long can you leave cucumber in, if they don't eat it all after a day do you take it out?

I only leave it in for a couple of hours, it only takes an hour or so for a thin slice to be picked clean. I have been putting in 2 thicker sliced pieces now that I am fully stocked. I would def go for cucumber the first time around. They do like broccoli, zucchini, and romaine lettuce but cucumber is an all time favorite :)

I can't believe that no one has suggested NLS Cichlid yet. NLS Cichlid seems to be the store-bought African Cichlid (overall) food of choice.

Labenator65000 said:
I can't believe that no one has suggested NLS Cichlid yet. NLS Cichlid seems to be the store-bought African Cichlid (overall) food of choice.

I haven't been able to get my hands on the nls yet :/ I'm gonna order some NLS thera a soon. Found some hbh super soft bites at the lfs the other day. I'm trying those and veggie flakes because I have a picky fish who dislikes pellets.

AndrewsPistol said:
I haven't been able to get my hands on the nls yet :/ I'm gonna order some NLS thera a soon. Found some hbh super soft bites at the lfs the other day. I'm trying those and veggie flakes because I have a picky fish who dislikes pellets.

Surprisingly, I found NLS at PetCo. When I switched from flakes to pellets mine were less than enthused for a week or so. Now they about gnaw my fingers off before I have a chance to let a pinch go. I found that it made a big difference in the natural coloration of the fish.

Labenator65000 said:
Surprisingly, I found NLS at PetCo. When I switched from flakes to pellets mine were less than enthused for a week or so. Now they about gnaw my fingers off before I have a chance to let a pinch go. I found that it made a big difference in the natural coloration of the fish.

Wow really? I only have a Petsmart n they only carry Hikari. I did find a breeder and that's where I got my hbh. All my fish prefer pellets except my large Peacock, Compressiceps and Empress. I'm just trying to make everyone happy but totally dislike the flake. It makes my water a tad cloudy right after feeding. It does go away but I enjoy watching my fish eat dinner so I hate the cloudiness!

AndrewsPistol said:
Wow really? I only have a Petsmart n they only carry Hikari. I did find a breeder and that's where I got my hbh. All my fish prefer pellets except my large Peacock, Compressiceps and Empress. I'm just trying to make everyone happy but totally dislike the flake. It makes my water a tad cloudy right after feeding. It does go away but I enjoy watching my fish eat dinner so I hate the cloudiness!

I have not found NLS at PetSmart, although my PetSmart carries a wide variety, including Omega One, which folks also say is good. You might be better just to order the NLS online from a reputable source. I always get the smallest container possible so it doesn't get overly stale.

Say, does anyone know if one can or should freeze pellets and/or flakes? I have a freezer down by my tank that would be pretty handy for that if I could use it for that.

I use NLS, and flake bit worried that NLS everyday may be a bit bloaty!!
I freeze pellet for fishing but never thought about doing it for aquarium fish, why would you need to??

Sistill said:
I use NLS, and flake bit worried that NLS everyday may be a bit bloaty!!
I freeze pellet for fishing but never thought about doing it for aquarium fish, why would you need to??

I wouldn't worry about NLS making them bloaty, as long as you are not overfeeding them. Overfeeding any food may make them bloaty.

I know nutrients in any food deplete after time. I have read that refrigerating it keeps it fresh but there's only one fridge in the house and I'm not going to keep fish food with people food :) . I was just wondering if freezing it would preserve it, would damage it, or would have no effect at all.

Is there much of a difference between the flakes and pellets? My two cichlids are babies, maybe an inch and a half long, should I wait until they are bigger to alternate between flakes and pellets and try some cucumbers and veggies as well?

You can do cucumbers now, I have an Afra who is barely 2 inches, and was even smaller when I got him, who loves it. I can't tell you the nutritional differences between the two, as I am just starting myself, but the pellets are a lot cleaner IMO. I do feed a lot of veggies tho.

When feeding cucumber, do you just slice it and toss it in or blanch it first?
I use Omega One and LOVE it!!
I've bought the NLS, but haven't started using it yet. I'm sure you can call them to find out about keeping it in the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom