Cichlid fry slowly dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have some Aulonocara Stuartgranti Usisya fry, there was 49 of them, they are in a bare bottom 20L with a sponge filter, fed once a day Repashy Super Foods powder, and I do a 50% WC every week. But, Lately, while watching the tank, I'll see one or two swimming kinda strangely, and in the next day or two, they are dead. I'm down to 44 now with another one not lookin so good. Anyone know whats goin on? I'm really confused!

Great cichlid and good count.

Have you checked your water parametrs? Are
they normal or high in ammonia or anything else?.... Maybe add a heater to keep the water temps within the same range all the time

For testing water...Just check to make sure as this will eliminate poor water. With the sponge filter I left it in the main tank for 24hrs then I put it in the fry tank.

Which one exactly of the "Repashy Super Foods" are you feeding them?

For starters I will do more PWC a day vs a week. This is what I did & what worked for me no one has to did any of what i did. With the 6 fry I have in a 5g tank I did PWC everyday. For 3 weeks- Now I do 50PWC a day. I feed them spirulina powder & got the 3mm NLS ciclids power and turned it to a fine powder. Now, they are eating the juvi NLC on their own. I gave the other 12 away to friends. You just might of had some sick fry that just might not have made it. They tend to have lots of fry for that reason in the wild. They will get eaten or died for natural cause...mother nature way of making sure that many other will make it.

parameters seem fine, and yup I have a heater in there. I'm feeding the solient green repashy powder. And yeah I'll try at least 2 a week and see what happens. And the fry are a mix of 3 different mothers who were all holding at the same time and I stripped them haha.

When you say water parameters "seem fine" what does that mean?

You checked with a kit....like an API test kit?

Haha no, just strips, and according to the strip, it seems fine, but those arent entirely trustworthy. I need to buy a nice test kit yet.

Back
Top Bottom