Cichlid help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfanatic16

Aquarium Advice Activist
I love cichlids but after several attempts of keeping Africans failed I lost my faith in them no matter what I do they kill each other. So I would like to know of any good south American cichlid the will not kill eachother please respond

Fishfanatic16 said:
I love cichlids but after several attempts of keeping Africans failed I lost my faith in them no matter what I do they kill each other. So I would like to know of any good south American cichlid the will not kill eachother please respond

Have you tried Yellow Labs? They are very easy and probably one of the most peaceful Africans (Mbuna).

Labenator65000 said:
Have you tried Yellow Labs? They are very easy and probably one of the most peaceful Africans (Mbuna).

No I have but I heard that you need to have 2 fm for every male and at my Lfs they cost like ten or twelve dolors

Fishfanatic16 said:
No I have but I heard that you need to have 2 fm for every male and at my Lfs they cost like ten or twelve dolors

That's way overpriced. Yellow Labs should only be about $5 each if that. PetSmart/PetCo commonly carry them.

Try posting on craigslist for yellow labs, you can probably pick up a bunch of juveniles locally for $3-4 each.

How big is your tank and what kind of Cichlids did you have together?

I think you are going to have the same thing happen. The tank you have is WAY to small for those fish... The African Cichlids need a lot bigger tank and a lot of places to hide. You should really look around for a bigger tank or rehome the Jewels...

Well right now the tank is a 10g with jewel cichlids

If you are looking to keep any Cichlids a 10 gallons is probably too small, hence the aggression issues.

Try to find a 30 gallon on craigslist or something , this way they'll have more room. You can overstock them but be ready for 2-3 PWC a week...

I actually have 2 Labs, a Peacock and Frontosa in a 30 gallon with some Giant Danios , a Shoal of Tiger Barbs (6) and a Chinese Algae eater, all Juveniles. I have plenty of Rocks and Plants for hiding places, but it has been a month and they all pretty much get along.

My plan is relocate the Danios (into my Hex tank) and get another Lab or two. In like six months they move into my 60 gallon and my SA Cichlids into a 125 gallon.

Also if you want to have other Less Aggressive Cichlids I would probably rehome the Jewels or just keep them separate. I had one and it was the most aggressive Fish, it killed an Algae Eater (one it was with for over 2 months) and attacked an Oscar 2x it size. I got the Frontosa instead I like it a lot....mine is so mellow and shoals with the Tiger Barbs...I think it believes he is one?

Fishfanatic16 said:
Well right now the tank is a 10g with jewel cichlids

With that size of a tank I really would not go with Yellow Labs either, or any Cichlids for that matter. I would only do community fish with a 10 gallon. There are plenty if very nice-looking community fish that you could put in a 10 gallon. Inexpensive, too. Neon/Cardinal Tetras, Glowfish, Guppies, Plattys, etc. Lots of options.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom