Cichlid ID Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
DISCLAIMER: These are not my fish and not my tanks. I am volunteering at a local place that has these tanks and I would like to help them upgrade, but I am not sure of what I am dealing with. These fish were donated under the wonderfully descriptive name, "African Cichlids."

There are about 30 of them in a 20g high tank, the largest is probably about 2 inches. They all have 3 black spots on their sides, except for one that seems to be the dominant one who has a pale blue sheen with orange fin edges.

Also, there is one yellow one. Kenyi?

Sorry about the bad picture quality.

Attachments

• P8300746.jpg
    P8300746.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 90
  • P8300747.jpg
    P8300747.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 91
  • P8300741.jpg
    P8300741.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 94
  • P8300743.jpg
    P8300743.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 88
Heres a couple more.

Attachments

• P8300742.jpg
    P8300742.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 83
  • P8300737.jpg
    P8300737.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 75
  • P8300744.jpg
    P8300744.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 91
How did you ever win the picture of the month? Lol!

Otopharynx tetrastigma are the juvies with the black splotches and the other is a common metriaclima estherae.

They're rather dull as juvies but are spectacular when the males color up.

Last edited:
Hahahahahahaha.
Thanks! I am glad you could see the fish through my awful pictures. I googled both of those and that looks exactly right.
So, next question, how large of a tank do you recommend for keeping a few of these little buggers? I have doubts that the zoo wants me to just get rid of them all, though if it was up to me I would just donate them to a pet store.

That's a nice find, the Otopharynx tetrastigma are on the IUCN threatened species list. They will reach upwards of 6" so with a large number of fish like that I'd say nothing under a 125g would be suitable. A rift lake nut would go crazy for those. I'm interested in anything endangered, nothing better than breeding fish to help repopulate the species. Another reason to click on the CARES program in my signature.

Last edited:
Okey dokey. Thank you very much.
I will let them know the tank reqs to keep the fish. I have even greater doubts that they will let me sell the fish on aquabid to raise funds to buy different fish, but I can always drop the idea. Lol.

Hukit are you 100% sure? This species is very uncommon like you said and if it is I may like to grab a bunch of these. It could be Tramitichromis Intermedius witch is very common and when young these two from what I've heard are mixed up a lot.

The Great Google tells me that the way to tell the difference between the species is egg spots versus egg streaks. Does that sound right? If so, I will google what an egg streak is next.

If ive learned anything its not to trust or pay any attention to egg spots. But will see what hukit says because I trust his word over google. So I can check out what I have witch I was told intermedius. And 9of course the lights just went out so I cant compare

Last edited:
Hukit are you 100% sure? This species is very uncommon like you said and if it is I may like to grab a bunch of these. It could be Tramitichromis Intermedius witch is very common and when young these two from what I've heard are mixed up a lot.

Otopharynx tetrastigma have a more slanted head as opposed to the rounded head of the T.interedius, along with smaller black spots on the females. So based on those pictures yes. But better pictures of the coloring males would help.

The Great Google tells me that the way to tell the difference between the species is egg spots versus egg streaks. Does that sound right? If so, I will google what an egg streak is next.

Just like it sounds there will be spots or streaks.

There was only fish who was colored up a bit, but he wouldn't sit still for the camera. I will try to get some shots of him when I go back though.
These guys are all about 8 months or so. How long before they start killing each other? Having a time frame will help me convince the powers that be that they need to act soon.
Also, if we can keep a few of them, I am guessing the zebra wouldn't get along with them?

OK cichlid gurus, I am back with more stunning photography. This time I got some pics of a few fish with more color on them.

Attachments

• P9060823.jpg
    P9060823.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P9060824.jpg
    P9060824.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 55
  • P9060825.jpg
    P9060825.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P9060826.jpg
    P9060826.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 55
Are you talking aboit the single one now? Looks like a type of Aulonocara but not sure again. What's up with the water looking so greenish brown

And more...

Attachments

• P9060827.jpg
    P9060827.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 53
  • P9060828.jpg
    P9060828.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P9060829.jpg
    P9060829.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P9060831.jpg
    P9060831.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 57
And yes, the silvery one is the same species as the others. They all started out with those 3 spots. Thanks for the looking again. I think I have like 2 more maybe of the silvery male if there is any question.
The water is nasty because there are like 30 cichlids and 2 plecos close to 10 inches a piece all shoved into a tank that looks like it's about 20g. We split the fish into 2 tanks now, but the bulk of the cichlids all stayed in the 20g. At least the water got a little bit cleaner. The manager of this building didn't believe me that fish need water changes, so I had to argue with her about it for a week.

These pics are not very clear on my phone but it looks to me like they have streaks. I copy and pasted this

Tramitichromis sp intermedius always have egg streaks

absolutangel04 said:
And yes, the silvery one is the same species as the others. They all started out with those 3 spots. Thanks for the looking again. I think I have like 2 more maybe of the silvery male if there is any question.
The water is nasty because there are like 30 cichlids and 2 plecos close to 10 inches a piece all shoved into a tank that looks like it's about 20g. We split the fish into 2 tanks now, but the bulk of the cichlids all stayed in the 20g. At least the water got a little bit cleaner. The manager of this building didn't believe me that fish need water changes, so I had to argue with her about it for a week.

I believe they get around 7"

Andrew McFadden said:
These pics are not very clear on my phone but it looks to me like they have streaks. I copy and pasted this

Tramitichromis sp intermedius always have egg streaks

Hukit said "they have more of a slanted head then a rounded head"
I can not see a difference between mine and these mine have a slanted head aswell and the egg spots look to be the same. I'm still confused witch is totally normal
Lol

Back
Top Bottom