Cichlid ID please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoldyTofu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help!!
So I finally got my 55gal tank from a friend, but I wasn't expecting the fish that came with it!
I was told that they are cichlids, but what kind is what I don't know.
The photos aren't the greatest but hopefully you will be able to figure out what kind they are. [emoji4]
Thank you!
(P.s. they are in an orange bucket right now that's why the coloring/lighting is kinda weird.)
0805203da355c20c75593bb434e36ef1.jpg

d807598a7bc54fcaa1c5699b8d2e3ff0.jpg

4ce9a38fe8f0a99eb247a789f73530c1.jpg

5acf345a693b55338fddfaa257d91c4d.jpg

Do you have any in tank pics? That 1st and 2nd are hard to ID 3rd is auratus

Unfortunately no in tank photos. I was not expecting these fish so when I got them I had only the bucket. The tank they can also has to be cleaned and fixed before I can even start to set it up. I hope to actually sell the fish so that's why I need the real/right names. The previous oqners did not take care of the whole thing and they certainly didn't know the names of the fish.[emoji26]

Just put an add up for free misc African cichlids on craigslist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The 2nd and 4th photos are the hardest to tell, but i can try to explain. In the 2nd, the fish is on the smaller side, it's body is black with bright blue spots in 2 rows on the side. I can't seem to find another one anywhere. I've checked on online stores and my lfs.
The 4th, is HUGE, so big that it didn't fit into my net(but it was just a regular petsmart net) it's all white with light black/grayish stripes not quite fully connecting.

Second looks like a demasoni, hard to tell out of water.

The 4th is not going to be easily identified with an aerial picture, pictures of the sides are crucial

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the third one is a kribenses

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Definitely not a kribensis, nor any fish from the genus pelvicachromis for that matter. Not even a fish from the African rivers. It's a Mbuna, and appears to be an auratus/auratus hybrid

Just put an add up for free misc African cichlids on craigslist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I second this. Why take them if you don't have a tank? there is no money to be made.

I took them because I knew that if I didn't then they would have been flushed down the toilet... [emoji26]

I really care about these fish, but I didn't know anything about them other then that they were "cichlids". So I posted on here to hopefully find out more and so that I can properly take care of them for right now.
I understand now that they are in the general area of "African mbuna cichlids" and that gives me more of a clearer picture of what to look into. [emoji4]

Second one is a jewel spot

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One of the Jewel cichlid species, in the genus hemichromis. More than likely bimaculatus or lifalili

Back
Top Bottom