cichlid lake salts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kalikingsmoke

Aquarium Advice Activist
im not here for a big long discussion about this cant go with this water chemistry and all that.... my question is. i plan on adding cichlid lake salts from seachem to my tank... i plan on putting a blue crayfish and a dinosour bichir in latter on maybe some MTS will the salts harm or kill either one?

What's the objective of adding the salt?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Everyone I know th at has used the salt there fish have become more active and colorful. Will the salt kill a crayfish?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please I really need help I have a cray on the way. I need to know if he will live or die in my tank with cichlid lake salts.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldnt use any salt for a freshwater creature.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Inverts are sensitive to trace elements like salt, copper etc. Salt is used by some aquarists as a way to reduce stress in fish when subjected to a high stress situation, like a very large water change. Some african cichlids naturally live in environments that have these trace elements in the water and may do better in chemistry closer to their natural environment. Adding to a tank that no fish or animals are used to said chemistry may kill or weaken your fish and inverts.

Better Ways to increase colour of your fish.

1) let them grow most juvenile fish are more drab than adults.

2) make sure ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are within check.

3) buy fish that like your tap water chemistry, ie if you have hard water might be easier to keep central american cichlid than south american.

4) use a contrasting substrate if you have lightly coloured fish use a darker substrate.

5) better tank lights, some lights produce unsightly hues.

Back
Top Bottom