Cichlid Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonv26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55g tank I am setting up for Lake Malawi mbuna cichlids. The tank has 2 18" T8 fluorescent fixtures on it. What I am wondering is what type of bulb best shows off the beautiful colors of the cichlids I will soon own?

There must be certain colors of bulbs that help to show off the bright colors of cichlids more than others?

This is an interesting question; I keep Malawis and I would like to change my lighting. I currently have 2 x T5s (high lite nature and blue), nice and colourful - the problem is in an unplanted tank I think these really encourage algae growth...

I'm considering some LEDs but unsure which type to get, they really need not be ultra bright!

I have an led that is 36 inches. I think it's marine land and it has 110 led bulbs and about 6 of the bulbs are blue. You can turn it to moonlight where only the blues are on. It works great and it doesn't get hot at all. It really does hit the yellows and blues and makes them pop. Of course I think Your sand or rock color also plays a role. I have white sand.

brandonv26 said:
your talking like Actinic bulbs then or?

Yep this is what I have
I run two Nova Extreme 2xT5HO Lights with SunPaq Compact bulbs that are two 10,000k daylight, one 460nm Actinic ( blue) and one 420nm Actinic (purple).

Andrew McFadden said:
Yep this is what I have
I run two Nova Extreme 2xT5HO Lights with SunPaq Compact bulbs that are two 10,000k daylight, one 460nm Actinic ( blue) and one 420nm Actinic (purple).

Your bulbs both run the full length of the tank though and then one sits in front of the other right? The way mine is configured there is an 18" bulb at each end so I kinda need to stick with one color otherwise it will look funny having one end blue and the other purple,

I have the same light fixture and I use 50/50 bulbs, they are pretty bright, they make the fish colors pop, and gives the tank a cool blue tint

Attachments

• image-2353754182.jpg
    image-2353754182.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom