Cichlid medication advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocbinva

Aquarium Advice Newbie
4 weeks ago I rescued an entire tank full of cichlids that look like they were swimming in mud. I have one starry night cichlid the seems to be breathing hard and hanging out near the top of the tank. Water parameters are good. I don't see ick on any of the fish but With the conditions they were living in before I'm afraid they may have parasites or other things going on specific to cichlids. Can anyone recommend what meds I should use. I think I need to treat them all to be safe and I have zero experience with cichlids.

Personally, I would not medicate fish that aren't showing any obvious symptoms. There are way too many different things that can be wrong and many medications have side effects.

Breathing heavy at the top of the water almost always means there is something wrong with the water or that it is not right for the specific fish.

We need more details.

What are the readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh and temperature. How long have you had the fish? What else is in the tank? How big is the tank? How did you acclimate the fish from the old water to the new? What kind of filtration is on the tank? What are you using to condition the water?

Back
Top Bottom