Cichlid mix tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
So now i have 2 baby convicts in my tank and i really like the electric yellow labs. i was thinking about getting a 55g tank with a breeding pair of each...... it that good or bad... will it work out????:thanks:

Labs don't really pair. You should have a 1m/3f ratio for them. I also don't think mixing Cichlids from africa and central america is a good idea, but I've never tried. Also labs require a low protein diet, if not it can cause Malawi bloat and drolly death.

Central American cichlids like Convicts have a drastically higher level of aggression over fish from Africa especially the more docile labs. Unless you have the tank space(6ft mimimum to try)which a 55g does not mixing lakes is not a good idea.

ok i think im gonna stick with just the black convict pair

Last edited:
That will work for a short time until the jag kills the cons and outgrows the tank since they get around 16" and the minimum for them is a 125g.

You could do a single Green Terror or Firemouth which are common, if your willing to order online there are alot of medium sized cichlids that will work. I would stick to something under 8" with a pair of convicts. The problem you'll have is if the fish claim the entire tank as their territory then someone will leave in a box.

That will work for a short time until the jag kills the cons and outgrows the tank since they get around 16" and the minimum for them is a 125g.

You could do a single Green Terror or Firemouth which are common, if your willing to order online there are alot of medium sized cichlids that will work. I would stick to something under 8" with a pair of convicts. The problem you'll have is if the fish claim the entire tank as their territory then someone will leave in a box.

Did I miss something? Where did the Jag come into play?

Haha. That would explain it!

Ralphie - Just curious, what are you going to do with the convict fry? I know Convicts aren't exactly a big seller.

Back
Top Bottom