Cichlid options with a 40g breeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatfishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently let go of my saltwater tank and decided to go with cichlids. I like the color variety and the inexpensive setup. I really don't have the room for a bigger tank, but I could manage to find the room if I find a good deal! Right now though, I want to try and work with what I have.

It's your standard 40g breeder, currently fishless, it's completely cycled. It has one Eheim 50g HOB filter and one AquaClear 50g filter. I'm debating on a canister filter, but I'm not entirely sold. I plan on ordering some texas holy rock or picking up some local river rock tomorrow. I just want to know what my stocking options are. I want a fairly large amount of colorful fish but I'm limited to PetCo's selection (closet store in town, and I work there, so that's a plus)

We sell a limited variety however. Peacocks, convicts, firemouths, yellow labs, brichardis, eartheaters, and two tanks are devoted to random colorful cichlids simply sold under the name "assorted cichlids."

How many could I do in a tank this small?

Cichlids prefer sand... The least expensive route to go is pool filter sand or play sand ( which I've heard is a lot more work to clean initially). Unfortunately your pretty limited to what you can put in a 40 g breeder. 4 foot is the minimum for most cichlids. Tho there are some smaller, just not familiar with them. My son has convicts in his 40g. But hes saving for another tank for others. ( they are fun to watch with their fry, thats about it...he has pink and Black, just bland IMO) also, You can also use alot of Rock found in your own back yard instead of buying. Wash it really good ( no soap). I'm not sure what to suggest as far as specific stocking, as I've got bigger tanks.... Good luck!! Btw I love my canisters!!! Quiet and easier to maintain and you have more media options for adjustments as needed. Buy bulk media and save :) I'm frugal and I admit it!

Back
Top Bottom