Cichlid paddletail still want more. Help?!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert G.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello. I recently got an awesome 7 gallon starter kit for christmas. Set up was easy. It was a Petco bookshelf aquarium. Not very deep but pretty wide. Went to pet store, guy didnt warn me and I came home with a paddle tale newt and 2 tetras. 30 min in and one of the tetras was eaten. So I put tetra in brothers tank. Then I got 11 I believe silver tail tetras. Just to feed the pattle tail. Then he ate 4. So then I got a firemouth cichlid. Not very exciting. Just sits in his territory all day. Doesnt guard it doesnt care. Him and the paddle tale never fight. What else can I put in the tank that will cooperate and will they be okay. I was thinking 2 elctric yellow cichlids or some dwarf cichlids. The temp in the tank is just right for all. I am planning on putting lots more plants in the tank and more hiding spots. I have two caves, a tree, and another large decoration. The water is really clear and once a month i take out 30% of water. Thankyou.:thanks:

I don't think any of these fish are suitable for a tank that small. I'm no cichlid expert but even shell dwelling cichlids are supposed to be in a 10g minimum. Tetras are schooling fish and need groups of 5+ and need plenty of swimming room, like a 20g for a school. You need to be looking at bettas, snails or shrimp for that size tank

Edit: research your fish BEFORE you buy them, and never take a sales persons advice without double checking that advice on your own first

Also, did you cycle your tank? You said you got it for Christmas so I doubt it's cycled. Do you have a test kit?

Back
Top Bottom