Cichlid Price Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking at a Pseudotropheus estherae. Its about 3-4 inches long. Does anyone have an idea as to what I should pay for it? They have 29.98 on it , but I don't know... :?:

Price really depends on what the market will bear in your area. Thirty bucks for an adult Red Zebra sounds expensive to me, based on what I see them sell for around here. But that may be the going rate where you live.

If it sounds too expensive to you- then it's too expensive. If you really like the fish and don't mind spending the money on him- go for it. I've bought lots of cichlids that I though I was getting a deal on, only to have people tell me I "paid too much." Go with what your heart (and your wallet) tells you. :wink:

And, if you like the fish, but don't want to pay retail for it, you could always order one on-line. Be sure to order from a site with a "arrive alive" guarantee.
0X

$30 for a typica med. red zebra would be too much, but I haven't seen this one around here before. Its body is a poweder blue with an orange dorsal fin. I will try to get by to sneak a picture and post. Here is one I found on the internet that looks just like it.

Another thing to look at is how easy it it to get a ps.estherae, if the lfs that you go to knows that the fish is hard to get he will up his price. i don't know $ to £ but i would sell a 3-4" pseudo for about £10-£25 depending on What type and how easy it is to get hold of, the more common ones would be even cheaper. It also pays to look around, if a store has had them a while he might be willing to let them go even cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom