Cichlid substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGrza

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have natural colored gravel in my tank but was thinking of changing to black sand for both aesthetic reasons and so they could dig more easily. I know beneficial bacteria builds up in the gravel so is there a risk of a crash if I switch? Also, how does it work cleaning sand with a syphon? Wouldn't the sand just get sucked out?

If you have an established tank and filtration then changing your substrate won't throw your balance off. Make sure there's nothing in your tank when you add the sand or your fish will get sand particles stuck in their gill area and will start itching for days from the irritation. Also rinse the sand before adding it. As for siphoning all you have to do is pinch the end of the siphon hose when you're cleaning the substrate if the sand rises too high. Either that or don't siphon the substrate to the point that it rises more than halfway through the siphon.

Thanks. Any ideas on what to do with the fish if/while I'm adding sand? I don't have a sump or a QT.

you can use buckets to put your fish in, just do everything quickly and they will be fine. obviously dont use buckets that have had soap or anything in them, something like what you would do PWC's with.

So I guess the best way to do this would e during a water change so the buckets have tank water in there, correct?

Is there a rule of thumb for how many pounds of sand for a 55 gal. 4 ft tank?

Depends on the type of fish you have/decorations/plants/etc. Supposedly it's 2 pounds per gallon, but I only use half a pound per gallon and that works perfectly for my African Cichlids.

I have 80lbs of gravel now and I like the way it looks so 2 lbs per sounds about right

I'm swapping out my stock too. Stock was a rookie mistake. Asstd everything. Going with yellow labs, mainganos, aceis, and OB zebras.

Back
Top Bottom