Cichlid trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hannibal the Bichir

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I just ought three new cichlids and for awhile they were doing fine. See attached pics. Today, I got back and saw that one of my (it was called something with an island) cichlid was in grave danger. His fins are shredded and he has his scales partially unattached. There are no cuts or lacerations. I but him in a breeding net with salt, methylene blue and food. For awhile he was belly up, but now he is swimming around right side up. The person thought these fish were peaceful. So I have questions on compatibility and healing treatment. Thanks

Attachments

• image-446661169.jpg
    image-446661169.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1078422589.jpg
    image-1078422589.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2231344760.jpg
    image-2231344760.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 108
  • image-902883668.jpg
    image-902883668.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 102
The black one is new, so is the one in the net. The one in the net has a mate that is new also.

What size tank are they in? The male Salvini in the corner there is a hyper aggressive fish from Central America that hit the 8" mark. It's generally not a good idea to mix lakes unless you have adequate tank space, and even then there is a good chance it will fail. Most central and south american fish claim a much larger territory, up to 10 feet in some cases which is dramaticlly more than cichlids from the Rift lakes.

I'm not sure who's giving you advice on fish compatability but they're a little off the mark.

List some information for us like tank size and inhabitants please.

With regards to the healing treatment I'd personally stop the salt and methylene blue and just perform small daily water changes, clean water and no stress is the best medicine for a beat up fish.

Last edited:
The salvini was housed with other Africans for awhile and got along great they told me. She has done nothing but hid and never had aggressive behavior, I believe she is not the culprit. He looks pretty bad in the net, but he's upside down. Surprisingly he's still alive. I think it's the black cichlid, it's a 55.

I don't know if I want to go downstairs and check on nits condition. I'm afraid I will see the worst.

Oh, it's not a male salvini, and I thought due to behavior and aggression the black on is a female as well.

1 mate to the poor lad that got beat up, their name had something with island in it
2 male and female giraffe cichlids I think they're called
3 females and 1 male sunshine peacock maybe a hybrid peacock
1 yellow labrachromidis
1 Pleco
1 demasoni
1 assorted African-black one
1 salvini hybrid

Oh, it's not a male salvini, and I thought due to behavior and aggression the black on is a female as well.

Females have a black patch in the center of her dorsal fin and a spot on the lower part of her gill cover. It doesn't look like a hybrid to me.

1 mate to the poor lad that got beat up, their name had something with island in it
2 male and female giraffe cichlids I think they're called
3 females and 1 male sunshine peacock maybe a hybrid peacock
1 yellow labrachromidis
1 Pleco
1 demasoni
1 assorted African-black one
1 salvini hybrid

Well with the exception of the Salvini and the Venustus(Giraffe) the stock list is not far off. The Venustus will grow far to large for a 55g in the long term, the the Salvini's are very aggressive as they mature. I really can't say who your culprit is but I would guess at another peacock cichlid since they are more prone to conspecific aggression.

Maleri island peacock? Sunshine peacock is a common nale for Aulonocara jacobfreibergi. They're a smaller but more aggressive species, quite likely the male trashed the new arrivals. They really should have a 75 gallopn tank minimum, larger if you want to mix other peacocks with them. My male eureka red took one eye out of a little larger but less aggressive peacock and one of his breeding females. The larger peacock is still living, his female got killed months ago, and the one-eyed female died a couple weeks ago. They're all in a 75.

Oh, that's my problem. They weren't listed as peacocks, but when I came home the female looked identical to the other females.

No, it's not a maleri island. I remember some images before he got lacerated everywhere. I remember a very broad white line across the head to dorsal fin. This was the most distinguishable mark I can recall.

Salvinis get nasty. Especially when they breed, but are wonderful parents. I was breeding them but it got to the point I thought they're just too ugly for my liking.

Surprisingly, I saw a juvenile in petsmart today. They called him an assorted cichlid though.

Back
Top Bottom