Cichlids and Sharks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlovers

Aquarium Advice Regular
My roomate has 2 ,4 inch irresdecent sharks in her 20 gal tank. And they are running out of room, we were wondering if she could put them in my 33 gal tank with Africans? Would my cichlids beet her sharks up?

These are tankbuster fish that get VERY large and also prefer to school, so that makes them tricky. They are also pretty peaceful so I think your cichlids might give them some trouble in a tank as small as a 33gal, though in a much larger tank it might work. Get yourself a 120gal and you'll be in good shape :wink:

I agree with TankGirl. Certain types of cichlid's with sharks is not a good combination unless you have a large tank. With the amount of fish that you already have in your 35 gal, it would not be advisable to add the sharks.

I used to house some cichlids similar to the ones you have in a 30 gal and once sexual maturity hit, the fish were fighting over everything. They now have an 80 gal. I have no advice for the sharks, but if you upgrade to the 120 as TG suggested, the cichlids will be happeir :biglol:

I Dont think they would go well and most sharks can get pretty big too.

If you cant buy a 120gal tank I think u can have a comptaible comunity of Cichlids in a 35gal taknk if u speciialy chosse peaceful ones.

JMHO

If given enough room I think the sharks could be fast enough to keep away from the cichlids 120 gals might do it. They would probably get tired after awhile though.

Continuing on the shark subject... (Im a newbie... but it already says that on the side :D ) I have an irresdecent shark. Right now he is in a 33 gal. We are shopping around for a much larger tank but since the shark is under a year old we should have another couple months.
My questions is about the schooling. My shark does not seem to be the schooling type. But, if we go for a large enough tank to have two of them then he would prefer to be around his own kind? There is one tetra we have that thinks hes a shark and schools with the shark. They seem to get along great, like best friends. What do you think is a good size to have two sharks?

Back
Top Bottom