Cichlids breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garfy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have been most fortunate today :)
I went to do my weekly 50% pwc and noticed my dominant male yellow lab somewhat harrying one of my female red zebras.He was darting about in front of her and then darting off.Suddenly he darted into one of my bigger cichlid stones and she followed him.I managed to get a bit of a peek I side and he was shimmying like crazy and she was mouth right at the back of his anal fin.This went on for a whole two hours.Sometimes in a cave,sometimes in a recess under a piece of driftwood and sometimes in a pit he has dug next to the rocks.Most amazing thing to witness :)
And now her mouth is definately distended and her vent is also distended.
Why I didn't video this I do not know but now she's had enough and is testing.Its a shame they are different types but amazing all the same :D

Congrats! Ive had that happen in my tank as well. They are going to end up breeding partners I bet. So you will have a mutt problem quick!

Jmedic25 said:
Congrats! Ive had that happen in my tank as well. They are going to end up breeding partners I bet. So you will have a mutt problem quick!

Yeah I think so.I will let her spit in the main tank so that only maybe a few will survive.I could not keep them all and I would never pass on hybrids.

You could always strip her for the practice. I had to remove one of my male zebras. It seems like once they do it once they team up over and over every few weeks. Labs and zebras are bad like that. One thing you could do is buy a large lab male. He may be able to take over...You will see the zebra color down. It will be an ongoing problem if your zebra is the dom male with female labs.

well you could get a big zebra...Either way I would let her hold. If its her first time you will have a hard time getting her out without her swallowing them. Fry are usually dealt with if not seperated

It is her first time holding.I have 2 female red zebras and the other one has already had a batch of fry and this batch was with the male red zebra.I stripped her and I have 15 fry in my holding tank.I will keep a few but the rest are going to my lfs for credit.I will look out for a large red zebra male but you don't see too many.I think they are popular fish but you never know :)

Your on the right track man!! I know its a pain to deal with hybrids. You can strip her eggs if your really wanted to. You should feel good knowing your water is good. Your getting babies!!!

Yeah it is very satisfying to know the fish are happy and that my water is good.I do a 50% pwc every week and every other week I remove all my decor so I can do a full vacuum.Getting the water out is the quick bit.My tank is upstairs so 20 buckets of water to refill the tank is hard work up the stairs,but well worth it for a clean tank and healthy fish :)

The water in the bathroom is no good.I tested it and the nitrites are off the scale.The bathroom water comes from a tank.I learnt this the hard way many years ago before I knew about testing and lost all 7 fish that I put in my daughters tank.The water downstairs in the kitchen is spot on so I use that.

You could build a long hose with parts from the hardware store...Lots of good DIY plans on youtube...Just a thought...You would get some seriously good suction having that much drop in your hose in between floors. PWC's would be a snap

Something I've been thinking about a lot recently.Do you think it's possible to get the water from downstairs to upstairs.The outgoing water can easily go straight down the toilet.

Sure it depends on your pressure at the kitchen sink. That can be adjusted at the regulator. Mine is in the basement. My parents had a waterbed on the second floor when I was growing up. We would use a string to hoist a hose from the outside to the upstairs bedroom and fill the bed. My guess is you tank is only about 15 feet above the kitchen faucet. It may be slow but it will work. You could bump the pressure up at the regulator if you need to. I would build a python, Its easy with parts from the hardware store. You have a valve in it so you can set it to syphon or fill. With the drop between floors you would have a strong syphon for gravel vac.

That's very interesting thanks.I have a few friends who are plumbers so I think they could help me with that.Would save me a lot of time and back ache lol

Yeah that's something to think about.My only concern is that I would have to treat the tap water as it goes into the tank rather than before.

garfy said:
Yeah that's something to think about.My only concern is that I would have to treat the tap water as it goes into the tank rather than before.

Once you've drained it aand done all the work you want to do just dose the tank with enough treatment then fill with your tap water. That's how I used to do it before I moved to well water.

Back
Top Bottom