Cichlids flashing/rubbing on sand and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShaunRowley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started up a cichlid tank and About a week and a half/two weeks ago I did a massive filter clean, cleaned the tubes, intake, exhaust, impeller, filter pads. I cleaned just about everything except the filter media such as carbon and lava rocks which I use as biological filtration (because I'm poor). My ammonia reads .25 ppm and my nitrite 0 ppm. I put bacteria supplement in right around the time the problem arose which was maybe a week and a day or so because I knew I wiped out tons of bacteria. I also bought plastic bio balls to replace my lava rock bio filtration because I figured it was about time.
My question is, is this a direct result of the filter cleaning? Or could it be something else?
I should also mention I'm quite new to cichlids so any tips would be a great help. Thanks

I knew that but how do i lower the ammonia, nitrite, nitrates? I've been doing a water changes very frequently, added media for bio filtration and added bacteria supplement to kick start the bio filtration. My cichlids appear VERY agitated and I'm getting worried because they are flashing more frequently and violently

No it's been established for about 6 months already. But I just recently decided to do away with my old fish and gravel and do a cichlid tank with sand

Yea if you changed everything including the substrate it's going to be like a brand new tank. Best you can do now is frequent large water changes when the parameters get a bit off. Hopefully you didn't fully stock it.

Back
Top Bottom