Cichlids for a 50 gallon long tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lupine327

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 50 gallon tank I am getting ready to start up again. I want some fish that will grow to a decent size that offer some color to the tank as well. I know from the past that aggressive fish tend to be more colorful. I have a young daughter that I want "pretty" fish for her to see. Goldfish are easily out of the question. I am not overly concerned with fish outgrowing the tank as I am planning a larger tank in about a year. Any suggestions and/or advice?

The Malawi peacocks come to mind. You should find lots of info searching under Aulonocara. They are fairly mild-tempered by African standards and adult males are beautiful fish.;)

Thanks for the tip on Aulonocara, they sound good and I found pics and info and like what I see. Where can I buy some and is there any other fish I can put in the tank with them?

Also, info I found suggested using sand in the tank as well as caves. Any info on how to take care of a tank with sand? Do you clean sand like you would gravel?

I'll second the Malawi peacocks. Fish from Lake Tanganyika will also offer gorgeous color and more variation in size (however, they are harder to find). Another set of Malawi fish to look into are Pseudotropheus (technically the name has changed, but you will find lots of information). These fish are readily available (many are "mutts" and you never quite know how there temperament will turn out); I have an 80 gal with them and am often asked (by nonfish keepers) if it is a salt water tank. My daughter's 8 months and loves to watch the fish!

okay, so what other fish can I keep with Malawi peacocks? How many Malawi peacocks could be kept together?

Frontosa get way too big for a 50 gal, besides their color most likely wouldn't appeal to a young child. As for tankmates Congo tetras may work, but you may want to ask around some more.

Back
Top Bottom