Cichlids for a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Freakgecko91 said:
Once again, this is only a 60 gallon pond...the north American record for channel catfish weighed in at 58 lbs. they grow quite large.

Wow really? Thats massive. Theres gotta be something that could idealy fit in this pond. Blood parrots could be good and they can be really bright in color which is cool. Maybe a smaller catfish. A pleco would help keep algae down. Im just making sugestions. Sorry when i think of pond i think its big gotta remember its still 60 gallons haha

If you can control the water conditions Africans would be ok as they are alga eater. I went to Tenerife in Spain two weeks ago, and at a water park there was a huge pond, which contained not only carp, but as Midas some Africans cichlids like afras and red zebras and so other American cichlid but not sure. Strange mix in a huge pond. Not special measures taken just a pond

Bloodworms are not 55% protein, nor are they particularly high in protein in general, especially when alive. There would never be enough in the pond to cause a problem anyway.I have kept daphnia (and some bloodworms)in front of mbuna 24/7 for up to 6 weeks with no issues, other than rapid growth.

BillD said:
Bloodworms are not 55% protein, nor are they particularly high in protein in general, especially when alive. There would never be enough in the pond to cause a problem anyway.I have kept daphnia (and some bloodworms)in front of mbuna 24/7 for up to 6 weeks with no issues, other than rapid growth.

52.8% crude protein (CP) per research done at the Comparative Nutrition Laboratory of Michigan State University, and the National Zoological Park (http://nagonline.net/Technical Papers/NAGFS00397Insects-JONIFEB24,2002MODIFIED.pdf reference Table 1, Page 4). I would personally consider that high in protein.

Ok maybe an oscar wasn't my best idea. How about a fire mouth cichlid. Convict? I want a large cichlid with personality.

Jacobsal91 said:
Thats actually kinda funny. Never seen one jump, ever. Every indivisual is different i suppose. Try to find calm ones :)

Mine hit the top of my lids all the time. And I've been told by quite a few keepers that I'll need to secure my lids down.
Each individual is different...for sure!

Frontosa would be nice but all the fish I find are full grown adults That would be a cat's thanksgiving dinner overnight. I really want an oscar. Too bad. Fire mouth or jack dempsey sound interesting. Convicts are smaller so can I have more than a pair? Is there any advice you can give me about dempseys and fire mouths? I forgot why but there was something that kept me from getting a dempsey for my 29. I don't think It was size.

Yah it may have been size a 29 gallon is not suitable for a jack they can get 8-10 inches

Definitely size was an issue but they also are supposed to be pretty aggressive. That's why they're named after the boxer.

Don't quote me on it but if you did convicts I think you could get away with 2 or 3 pairs though I'm not completely sure, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in. :)

If I just have a pair of convicts, Jacks, or firemouths, would breeding be possible? I want to get some store credit and witness the parental behavior of these amazing fish.

Breeding with convicts would definitely be possible provided nothing ate the fry. From what I hear they are very easy to breed. I imagine with a little extra effort you could breed any of those fish in your pond provided that the fry are safe from predators. :)

Would a bristlenose pleco eat the fry? I don't thing so assuming the parents do their job.

When my sichlids had fry i tried ti isolate them asap. But ive never witnessed any pleco try to eat cichlid fry. Although Plecos DO like to harass goldfish :)

dlsrks said:
If I put my oscars in a pond, what needs to be done to keep them in it for the winter?

Keep the water at an appropriate tempuature at all times. Between 70-78 degrees should do fine. And cover it ehen it snows and i would test water at least weekly just to be safe. And have a backup power source for heaters. Because if you lose power and water gets too cold u can kiss you oscars goodbye. They can maybe handle higher 60's in temp, they are quite hardy but its not an ideal situation for them to be in. Ponds can be a lot of work

I'm doing some research to see if tang cichlids would be hardier than malawi cichlids. Convict cichlids just aren't common here. There are many stores that sell African cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom